What's new

Not running right after putting engine back in

Reaction score
Hi, I have been experiencing a problem with the running of my car after taking the engine out over the winter. I took the engine out for the bay to be painted and to tidy everything up as it was out, however since refitting the engine it hasn't ran like it used to.
When I first went to start it i had the fuel lines the wrong way round :wack: but I noticed this pretty much straight away. After swapping these round it fired up straight away. It then started ticking over at around 2000RPM slowley creeping to 2500RPM :eek: and wouldn't come off cold start. I then swapped the hoses round on the throttle body to see if this would make a difference (not sure if it would) and adjusted the TPS to get the revs down. After adjusting the TPS and water hoses it came off cold start and was ticking over fine after the TPS had been moved nearly all the way down.
While the engine was out I cleaned everything, The idle control valve had quite a lot of carbon depositing in it so this was cleaned thoroughly. The throttle body was thouroughly cleaned aswell.
Before the car was took off the road it used to pop and bang for fun if you wanted it to and smelled ok for not having a de-cat, now it wont pop and bang like it used to only if it hits the limiter and the smell coming from the exhaust is totally different and not very nice compared to how it was before.
I have removed the aircon and standard boost solenoid and changed it for a manual boost controller (don't know if that would make a difference like this?)

Mods done to the car:

Fmic
Tubular manifold, 3" elbow, 80mm downpipe untill the rear section which is only 2.5" but was like this before coming off the road.
Pigeon mod. This was also done before taking off the road
Walbro fuel pump
Slpitfire coilpacks

I tried adjusting the idle control valve today but it hardly made a difference, it just doesn't like starting when its cold now so I will be putting this back where it was set tomorrow and moving the TPS right back down.

I'm pretty stumped on what to do now
Any tips/solutions would be great

Thanks
Lee

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Sounds like you've got a vacuum leak, check every vacuum pipe is tight and not damaged, check your inlet gasket is tight. Did you completely remove the boost solenoid?

Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a vacuum leak, check every vacuum pipe is tight and not damaged, check your inlet gasket is tight. Did you completely remove the boost solenoid?
Thanks for getting back.
Checked all the vacuum lines and they were all alright apart from the fpr one to inlet (had a tiny hole) but I have replaced most of them to be sure. The inlet is now fully tightened even though when I built it back up I checked all the torque of the bolts twice. It has made a difference doing these, there is no longer the whistle I could hear and boost comes on much better now. The car feels a lot smoother! It still hasn't changed the idle speed though, the TPS sensor is still all the way down.
Yes the boost solenoid has been completley removed and replaced with a manual boost controller

Reaction score
Yeah, it has been done properly. Must be the 5th or 6th time since owning the car now :p