What's new

Oem hid?

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys, I need some quick help/answers.

I took my car to the MOT yesterday and it all went well except that they said some previous owner converted my low beam to HID/Xenon. This was not OK by them and said I had to restore it by changing the bulb ( ?!?!?! )

So I went on here to search some but need a few answers.

Is there any normal bulb that will fit straight into the HID connector?

Does my car have HID from factory, and how can I proof that to them?

thanks in advance, really need you thoughts.

/ Mange

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Mange, the OEM HID headlights have an orange warning label on them and a large ballast box intergrated into the underside of the headlight itself. It should be easy to tell if they are aftermarket HID's as there will be an aftermarket ballast box and non-original wiring somewhere around the headlamp.

All HID equipped S15's have an electronic healight level adjuster to the right of the steering wheel too - this is possibly the easiest way to tell at a glance.

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
ditto to the above Late 02 with OEM HIDS. If its the same then it would be fitted with D2S (35W) 4300k lamps. Cant wait till we have the same rules here, gonna be a pain every year, maybe get some sort of fake certificate made up with the nissan logo on it and a statment about the lights to present to them

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for the replys guys. I was just over there talking to them, and they wont let it through. I tried to explain that it was OEM standard HID but he said that I needed an automatic level adjuster and also "washing sprinkler thingys" for the headlights if they are gonna let it pass with HID.

So he's best tip to me was to rebuild with H7. :-| what you think? Possible? Buying some H7 projectors to some bmw or something. I've heard of that, but how do you do with the wiring?

Sigh this really put me off for the summer.

/ MAnge

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
Personally, i would take it to another test station and try again with someone different or tell them to sod off and don't have an mot. What are they going to do with all the older generation cars that had HID's and no leveler or jets

Better fix the cat back on, 1 less problem in July

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cant wait till we have the same rules here, gonna be a pain every year, maybe get some sort of fake certificate made up with the nissan logo on it and a statment about the lights to present to them
We will never have those rules here. They only need to conform to new rules if the car is made after the date at which the rules come in, OR if they are aftermarket. They didn't make all cars fit seatbelts when that rule came in and I'd say seatbelts are a little more important than headlight washers..

Mange, if i was in your situation I would buy a pair of non-HID headlights and fit them for the MOT, then revert back to your originals afterwards :)

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
couldn't do it earlier when i posted since i was still at work and access can get tricky to the site

Our Mot guide from VOSA states:

VOSA MOT Guide said:
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems.

In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given
The important word being "may be fitted" not must. At least that would be my interpretation and my point of argument if it ever got raised here

For the EU directive, they state

Directive 2009/40/EC said:
Item > 4.1.5. Levelling devices (where mandatory)
Method > Visual inspection and by operation if possible.
Fail > (a) Device not operating. (b) Manual device cannot be operated from driver’s seat.

Item > 4.1.6. Headlamp cleaning device (where mandatory)
Method > Visual inspection and by operation if possible.
Fail > Device not operating.
It mentions "where mandatory" but I've not found there definition of this term yet so again I would argue that if the unit had come installed with auto level and washers from the OEM and was not in working condition then it should fail but if it was never an option from the OEM to begin with then they should have no right to refuse you or install a product that is different to the original installation.

Reaction score
Country
Mange, if i was in your situation I would buy a pair of non-HID headlights and fit them for the MOT, then revert back to your originals afterwards :)

Yes, but where do I find a pair for a reasonable price. And, how should I solve the wiring :-|

Going to another station isn't a option I think, becuse they are all linked aren't they? So they will probobly give me the same story.

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
Going to another station isn't a option I think, becuse they are all linked aren't they? So they will probobly give me the same story.
didn't know about that, just having a look now at their site via google. they summon you when its time unlike ours were we can pick who does it

Reaction score
Country
Aa yeah, it's so ****ty. what do you think of getting a set of these

for MOT

I still dont know how to solve the wiring problem.

/ Mange

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
I was reading this via google, Föreskrifter om ändring i Transportstyrelsens föreskrifter och allmänna råd (TSFS 2010:84) om kontrollbesiktning (TSFS 2011:101)

Seems its got every-way conceivable in it to fail a car but with no exceptions due to age or actual oem build

I really do think its daft you gotta fit effectively aftermarket parts just to get your car through the inspection which is supposed to stop aftermarket parts (someone else's opinion about these new rules, inclu the exhaust tests)