What's new

Oil Catch Can Solutions

Reaction score
Country
I've spent about 3 hours trying to look into this.

What is the best solution to prevent blow-by in the engine case? By best solution I'm implying leaving out expensive external pumping options.

Which rocker cover hoses can go where? And where should the catch can be placed (I.E, between which two hoses. Not physically where to bolt it)? There are all sorts of different opinions on this online and they seem to all contradict each other so a quick reason why would be good too.

Whatever the answer is, I'm looking to replace the lines with braided ones to clean up the engine bay so if it means the stock set-up is the best possible solution, then braided hoses are going in stock positions. If a catch can will help engine wear and tear or performance in any way then I'd like to throw one in.

I have an sr20det from an s14 if it matters.

Reaction score
Country
Catch cans dont help you in anyway other then keeping your intake free from oil........... feeding blowby back into your intake does not hurt a engine it just puts a bit of gunk into the intake tract, the best way to reduce blow by is to have a freaking close ring clearance, but thats a engine rebuild job

when buying or making one, make sure its a baffled, as they stop the oil sloshing around and help it to condense rather quickly

you have 2 easy places and they are all on your rocker cover, just make sure you block the other ends off, the primary one on the passenger side in the middle and the rear on the drivers side, the one at the rear of the engine goes back into your intake plenum via a 1way valve, so make sure the plenum end is blocked off, do some research of fitting type and sizes and you will love the job you finish with. A perfect location for a catch can is where the carbon canister used to go as you already have two mounting bolts and a bracket, if that has already been removed from your car and you want a bracket just let me know ive got both carbon canisters from previous S15's lying around, you can put a hose going from the catch can back into your intake but why bother just put a breather filter on your catch can and be done with it, just remember to empty it every now and again.

In the process de-oil all of your intercooler piping there will be alot in there, especially with the boost you have been running :)

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for the advice.

unfortunately I can't use it now. Engine ran dry of oil after dumping it on the road and now I'm pretty sure I've cracked the head. FML :(

Reaction score
Country
...........................................................................................................................................................................................

gutted dude,
did you not stop the engine when you saw the factory oil pressure warning light come on????????????????????????????????????????????????

look on the bright side, now you will learn how to rebuild a engine

Reaction score
Country
your engine must have been doing more than blowing oil out the breathers for it to run dry so fast!
Sad times though mate, hope you can revive it!

Reaction score
Country
Nah it was the old stock turbo lines trick for young players. Oil feed totally sheered apart. Murphy's Law aye, I had the braided lines ready to put in. A little bit earlier and I would have prevented a rebuild.

Ah well, maybe I can go whole-hog and look into sr20vet heads. Opinions?

Reaction score
Country
great for response but not worth the money in setup, just get angry cams an a bigger turbo

Reaction score
As Spoonman said, not cheap to get it modified and fitted to an SR20 block. You have to have different manifold, plenum, cams to start with plus I think the CAS is at the back of the head so you have to modify the fire wall as well.

Reaction score
Country
Yea stuff that then. Fingers crossed it's just a gasket but I doubt it. Second best case scenario is a warped head.

Reaction score
Country
getting a head skimmed does not cost much, if thats all it is, its the new gasket well getting the correct size gasket after the head gets skimmed and the time fluffing around taking the head off thats the pain