What's new

Oil cooler setups..

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'm looking to get an oil cooler but dont know what type to go for.. Could you guys post up pics and details of your existing setups, to give me some ideas of what to go for. Advantages and disadvantages would be good too if possible!!

Cheers :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
do you really need one mate? i've never seen my oil temp go over 95 even on a long hard motorway slog, in traffic, when giving it a beating.....never. most of the year in this country the core would need to be covered anyway or you'd be over cooling i'd think. what are you looking to do - track/drift work?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
do you really need one mate? i've never seen my oil temp go over 95 even on a long hard motorway slog, in traffic, when giving it a beating.....never. most of the year in this country the core would need to be covered anyway or you'd be over cooling i'd think. what are you looking to do - track/drift work?
is this true?as i have just noticed mine has a front mounted oil cooler on it!

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
then its more than likely your car was either tracked/drifted in japan or has had a load of tuning parts removed before it came over if its almost standard now....doesnt mean its a minger, but its just it seems pointless fitting one to a standard car otherwise:)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
was planning to get it on a dyno to see how shes running ,if its not quite standard i will soon find out lol cheers for your input mate:)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
mate, dont let what i said get you thinking, so many of thesse cars, if not all of them, have an impossibly hard to trace history and who knows how they were treated before us daft english buy them lol.:thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
mate, dont let what i said get you thinking, so many of thesse cars, if not all of them, have an impossibly hard to trace history and who knows how they were treated before us daft english buy them lol.:thumbs:
Na i am not thinking bad of it just as you say mate it's hard to find anything about these cars when you get them imported,i follow my heart not my head anyway so no matter what i would have bought it regardles hahahaha its going to horsham developments tommorrow anyway so will get them to have a proper look over it see what what i bought it for a project something to work on that why i was hopin it would be standard but hey if someone has already done some of the hard work thats fine by me lo

J

jonny b

my oil temp goes as high as 130 degrees,,even with the 19 row greddy cooler

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
my oil temp goes as high as 130 degrees,,even with the 19 row greddy cooler
:wack: WTF???

thats mad, i have had two different gauges on mine so far and have never seen anywhere near that.....thats hot:nod:

S

S15 SILVIA

Not all Oil coolers will over cool the oil, i had a thermostatic base plate on my Greddy cooler that i had fitted on my starlet turbo, allows the oil to reach operating temperature, and when things start to hot up a bit, the thermostat opens and allows flow through the cooler rad.
When oil gets to hot, its lubricating properties go all to sh!t.

It is true tho what Dean says, do you really need one, how do you drive, and treat your car?

Mike

J

jonny b

Not all Oil coolers will over cool the oil, i had a thermostatic base plate on my Greddy cooler that i had fitted on my starlet turbo, allows the oil to reach operating temperature, and when things start to hot up a bit, the thermostat opens and allows flow through the cooler rad.
When oil gets to hot, its lubricating properties go all to sh!t.

It is true tho what Dean says, do you really need one, how do you drive, and treat your car?

Mike
if ur usin 20w 60..it will witstand high temps..
cheers jonny

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I did a trackday at Bedford last weekend and it was absolutley awesome, so I'll probably be doing a few more when it gets a bit warmer next year. I suppose it would probably be good to get the oil gauges first so I can see whats going on, but was going to take advantage of the forthcoming GB that Apex are doing on SXOC.

I'd want a setup with a thermostat to prevent over-cooling, but just dont know what the different options are. I'll probably be geting a temp/pressure gauge too, but dont want to stack up loads of sandwich plates.

:thumbs:

S

S15 SILVIA

My Greddy/Trust sandwich plate had 2 sesor take of points!
You can also get sump plug mounted take offs.
Most jap cooler kits you get will probably be remote mounted, so easier and more room to hook up sensors.

J

jonny b

my sandwich plate takes 4 senders and oil cooler plate 2 more...no one needs 6,,ha

Reaction score
I'm using the Greddy/Trust oil cooler with the thermostat,but I'm in a part of the world where recently we have had day temps of 35c-40c with road temps into the 50c's so they are a good option for us colonists :D :D

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cool, so I can get a thermostatic plate with 2 take offs then. Thats good news.

Is it worth going for the filter relocation too? I'm not convinced its worth it in my case as its only twice a year the filter gets changed..

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
funny you ask about oil coolers because I recently posted up some (alot?) of info here:
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=416227&pid=5508434

if you get one, get it with a thermostat, mount it properly and mount it in the fender. I'll take a stab in the dark and say the fella that's hitting 130degs with the greddy oil cooler does not have air guides and/or is mounted in front of the radiator.

filter relocation worth it? i don't think so, it adds more points of leaks and adds alot more fittings and blocks to mount which adds alot more money, but you get the convenience of easy filter changes, thats IMHO :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Craig - check out my Facebook gallery My Car (not the more recent gallery which is My Car 2 but the original one). Towards the end of the gallery you'll see how the MIH 19 row oil cooler is mounted securely using parts of the frame etc :)

Driftworks supplied this along with thermo plate for a very reasonable price. GReddy prices (even from RHD) seemed daft?! JDM points yes but at the end of the day Apex/Driftworks ones will all do the job.

Relocation kit seems ridiculously expensive compared to a normal thermo + cooler kit... I wouldn't bother as ^^^^ said.

Anyways, if you have the setup like mine which is thermo plate against block (two unions connected providing the oil send/return lines) and then a second sandwich plate on top for my Defi oil temp + pressure senders then the filter will be even further away from the block which means your hands can get to it even better ;)

My temps were hitting 120 easy on a warm day tracking/drifting... the oil cooler has brought this down to just under 100 (like on my DWYB event yesterday) and I was caning the Silvia on the EDC track alongside Richy 200 for most of the afternoon hehe :D

Last edited:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cool, thanks for all the info above :)

Judging by whats been said I think the best option for me would be a thermostatic sandwich with a couple of take-offs for future use, and the cooler mounted behind the RH foglight/vent (positioned like the stock WMIC was on the LH side)
The relocation kit is handy i'm sure for filter changes, but as it would only be used twice a year, I'd rather save the money and keep the bay looking as clean as possible.

Thanks again for the help guys :)

Craig