What's new

Poly Bushes - where and who??

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
I''m considering poly bushing the subframe in my S15 but I am a complete noob when it comes to stuff like this and I want to be sure before I order and pay for anything.

I've browsed a couple of sites and this is how far I had come;

- Front lower arms / wishbones x 2 (3 each)
- Front castor arms x 2 (2 each)
- Rear camber, toe and traction control arms x 10 (camber = 2 each; castor = 2 each; traction control arms = 2 each )
- Rear lower arms x 4

And then I went on the Powerflex site and got this for the S14 (I've mailed them asking whether the S15 bushings are the same or not and I'm currently awaiting a reply).

Front Inner Track Control Arm Bush 2 per car - ref 1
Front Inner Track Control Arm Bush 2 per car - ref 1
Front Anti Roll Bar Mount 25mm 2 per car - ref 2
Front Antil Roll Bar Mount 27mm 2 per car - ref 2
Front Tie Bar Front Bush 2 per car - ref 3
Rear Link Bushes 10 per car - ref 4
Rear Toe Link Inner Bush 2 per car - ref 5
Rear Anti Roll Bar Bush 15mm 2 per car - ref 6
Rear Anti Roll Bar Bush 18mm 2 per car - ref 6
Rear Trailing Arm Bushes 4 per car - ref 7
Rear Anti Roll Bar Link Kit 2 per car - ref 8
Rear Beam Mounting Bushes 4 per car - ref 9
Rear Beam Bush Insert kit 4 per car - ref 9

I have HKS Hipermax Pro coilovers on the car - will that make any difference as to what I need?

Also, what brands should I stay away from? The powerflex are the ones I had initially wanted but are very expensive when compared to the Driftworks ones (for example). I know you get what you pay for but is there a happy medium when it comes to quality -v- cost?

All help is much appreciated :thumbs:

Reaction score
hi yes theyre the same as the s14 but id recommend a good set of arb's and poly bush the links, you wont need anymore if you have a good set of coilovers and suspension arms.

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Thanks Slammedmind so the only bushes I actually need are these?
Also, arb's - Anti Roll Bar mounts? (Sorry, ridiculously clueless when it comes to this but I'm trying to learn/understand :eek:) So these mounts or replace the roll bars themselves? And if it is the mounts which size ones do I need (25/27mm and 15/18mm)?
Front Antil Roll Bar Mount 2 per car - ref 2
Rear Anti Roll Bar Bush 2 per car - ref 6
I think the coilovers are pretty good but TBH I don't know and don't have the money to replace them. Would you recommend any particular Brand of suspension arms over another (ie. Tein rather than Driftworks etc) and what brand of Bushes should I go for?

Plus, I was considering getting a Tein front strut bar but would it be any use or would I be better served replacing more of the suspension parts instead?

Also (sorry - nearly finished :)) There's a bushing gone in the back on the passenger side (which made me consider the upgrade in the first place), theres a knocking noise when I pass over even slight bumps at low speeds and if the wheels spin & tail end kicks out the whole rear axle bounces up and down a bit. I've been told its the rear lower arm, is that this one?

Reaction score
If it is the lower link bush it is 7 on the Powerflex picture you posted.

Another polybush company to consider is Superflex, usually they are cheaper.
I used their ARB bushs on my old Honda Civic.
I've no experience of Powerflex bushes but a friend of mine has had trouble with them twice.
1) Ordered a bush for the front wishbone of a peugeot 106, it didn't fit
2) Bought an e30 M3 and front impact shock (driving over bridge joints for example) was awful - it had a Powerflex compression rod bush already fitted. He replaced it with a Superflex bush and it was much improved.
However his rear trailer arm bushes are Powerflex and he has had no trouble with them.
If others here or on SXOC have had no trouble with Powerflex then they should be OK but if not it might be worth considering the Powerflex bushes instead.

Also I think Whiteline make some replacement bushes but I'm not sure how their prices compare.

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Thanks Ozone, the Driftworks ones are very well priced but are probably pants! I'll price up a few of the others and see where I stand.

So I need the following?
Rear Link Bushes 10 per car - ref 4
Front Antil Roll Bar Mount 2 per car - ref 2
Rear Anti Roll Bar Bush 2 per car - ref 6

Rear Toe Link Inner Bush 2 per car - ref 5

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
I've posted a similar thread on sxoc & have been told to go for the Nismo rubber bushes instead as the car is my daily driver, they are expensive but I might as well get the right ones now because going back and changing them later if I'm not happy will be even more expensive. I'm still a bit confused as to what I'm going to order though.

• anti roll bars - Apex with new drop links and bushes £199.50
  • Full set of Alignment arms - Apex adjustable full alignment kit £391
  • Rear subframe locking collars - Apex £42.50
    [*]Subframe bushings kit x 4 - Nismo $153.84
I think I'll leave the full alignment kit for the minute as funds are a bit tight and I'm going to have to pay my mechanic to fit all off this on top of the price of buying the parts.

So are the Nismo bushes the right ones to go for and am I missing anything in the list above that I need or should get??

Reaction score
Whenever you adjust/remove any subframe or link you must always have the alignment checked. If you can't afford to have it done I would wait until you can and do everything together.
It is difficult to recommend which ones to fit because you haven't given a reason for fitting them. If original bush condition is fine and it is just a daily drive I wouldn't change any of the subframe or link bushes. If you will be doing some drift or track driving I would replace all the rear and front bushes, in that order as a set if you cannot afford to have them done at the same time - note this means you will need wheel alignment checking twice so is more expensive.
I would recommend fitting the arb bushes as they should be relatively easy to fit (probably do yourself), give a small but noticable effect in handling with no effect to ride or noise and you will not need the alignment checking afterwards.
You have decided to use NISMO subframe bushes because it is a daily driver but also plan to use subframe locking collars. However my understanding it that the locking collars make a massive increase in noise coming from the back in which case this combo might be worse than just replacing with PU bushes. I'm sure I've read about it on this forum so I recommend doing a search.

Last edited:

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Thanks Ozone, I would have a laser alignment done once it was all fitted but cant afford to replace the alignment arms (£391).

The reason I was fitting them is because some of them are on the way out in the rear and I hope to do an occasional track day in it (SXOC track day at end of Feb :D).

I was advised to get the locking collars but if the result is a massive increase in noise I won't bother

Reaction score
I have not experience of the collars myself so don't go on my word but having read other comments it seems they make a big improvement in handling and stability but also make a big increase in noise, especially from the diff.

F

freebird

If I were you I would use the locking collars and forget about the subframe bushes as the collars lock out the bushe movement anyway so the standard bushes are fine when using the collars. Big improvement and just a bit more noise, much cheaper and a simple job if you cut a small slot in the top collar or get a set with a C shape top collar.

This is the way I went and it works a treat and will save you heaps of cash.