What's new

rear brakes

Reaction score
i know that nicely has done the 300zx rear brake conversion but im wondering what else out there will fit and who has done it? I hear that the r34 rear brakes will fit. is there any truth to this?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Skyline and Z32 rear brake setups are very similar. Whichever you fit, you'll need R33 handbrake cables.

To have an effective rear brake setup, you need independent disc and handbrake setups. In other words, not a handbrake which operates the callipers.

Reaction score
I will be installing a set of Z33 350Z rear brembo's on my S15. That is as soon as I can get my hands on them.

mmmmm 322mm rear rotors and gold calipers :D

Reaction score
what other parts are needed for the z33 conversion? I had a look at the brake tutorial on your site nicely looks like a serious setup. Think the master cylinder is a must.

S

sillbeers15

I've done the Z32 rear brakes conversion as well. handbrake cables and brake hose need to be customised parts. GT-1 racing makes the said handbrake cables and PDM Racing (Canada) makes the brake hoses. The rest are 48items of stock Z32 parts available from any Nissan stockist.

From many japanese sources, the caliper bolt sizes between R33 and R34 differ. R33s are the ones suitable for S15. Not so sure about Z33...I hear that they don't fit S15.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You don't need any custom parts for a Z32 rear brake conversion. R33 handbrake cables and Z32 braided lines are the common choices. :) My full fitting and parts guide is here.

Z33 rears are becoming popular, but aren't a straight fit. They need a custom adapter plate.

Reaction score
Ive got R33 GTR brembos on mine... only thing different was i needad a 7mm spacer for the brake pivot on the rear... bloody awsome brakes!

G

gunner93

Nicely,

Any idea whats the weight difference between the rear stock brakes vs the 300ZX?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Whatever the weight of the drums and handbrake mechanism is. The increase in braking efficiency more than makes up for the added weight :)

S

sillbeers15

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't need any custom parts for a Z32 rear brake conversion. R33 handbrake cables and Z32 braided lines are the common choices." - Nicely

I didn't looked into the R33 parts catalog. Before I did my conversion, i read about many R33 and Z32 rear brake conversions...all mentioned the braided hose require different mounts over the stock S15 calipers and the Z32 handbrake cable is wrong in length for the 'S' series conversion of Z32 brakes. A few of the Japanese articles I've came accross mentioned the sources for the custom handbrake cable producer and the brake lines. So I ordered them accordingly and got my conversion done w/o a glitch.

It was kind of fun to fix up all the 48 ordered parts for the brake disc and drum brakes assembly according to the parts assembly diagram. I've ordered every damn part required according to the Z32 parts catalog for the rear brakes conversion...not sparing every nut, bolt and spring.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Lol! I remember trying to build the handbrake mechanism from diagrams too :p Luckily, I found some good photos on a couple of US sites :nod: