What's new

Replacing diff and subframe bushes

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys,

Just fitted some cusco sway bars and am very happy with them but ever since I've had the car there's some knocks/clunks coming from the back end so next on my list is to replace the diff and subframe bushes.

Can I replace the diff bushes without removing the subframe? Or is it best to do them all at once?

Also what brand bushes do most people use?

Thanks, Leo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
You can replace the diff bushes with the subframe still on the car but I found it to be a bit of a ball ache. Since you're looking to change the subframe bushes as well then you're best off doing them all at the same time when the subframe is off the car as It'll be much easier.

I used Energy Suspension poly bushes on mine and they seem decent.

I replaced my diff and subframe bushes because I had a clunking from the rear as well but unfortunately it didn't solve it. :(

Reaction score
Country
Sorry to bring up an old thread.

What would be better for a fast road setup, poly or solid?

I'm planning to do occasional track days but not many.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Yeah poly deffo. I have whiteline ones fitted, which are great. Needs a press to get them in tho. Solid ones will let a lot of noise through, but they would both do wonders for your handling if the ones you have are shot. You'll really notice the difference in hard corners (or any corners if they are really worn to the point they knock)

Reaction score
Country
Thanks guys!

Sibbers, you really needed a press to get them in? Would have thought a mallet would do?

Are there any jap branded bush kits? How are powerflex?

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Hey mate,

Powerflex and others, AFAIK, will go in without a press. Whiteline, no chance. I'm not sure which are the best, but my view was that whiteline are almost exactly the same as OEM, except poly and so far everything I've used by whiteline has been very good, so I took that option despite the extra effort.

Replacing them yourself is a real pig of a job. If you can press them out/in then you've basically saved yourself the most difficult bit. Not sure if you've seen people drilling them out, burning them out etc etc... its not fun and it takes ages. In fact, whenever I look for a second hand S chassis, I look for 'replaced sub frame bushes' as imo I'd rather swap the engine than do that without proper tools!