What's new

SR20DET - Crank angle sensor?

Reaction score
Country
The story
So the other week I was driving to QLD drift matsuri which is about a 5 hour drive from where I live. Almost half way there in the middle of nowhere my car spluttered and then it got more frequent and eventually stalled and wouldn't start again. I didn't have many tools on me but I was able to pull the plugs out (looked fine), check fuel pressure and checked for any split hoses etc. After not finding anything wrong, I called my dad who was heading down to matsuri that afternoon and got him to bring our car trailer and pick me up on the way past. I sat around eating pringles and drinking V for around 4 hours until my dad got there. We loaded up and got on our way to matsuri. The next day at matsuri we thought we'd just try start my car and it started straight away and ran fine, so we unloaded it off the trailer to take it for a test drive and got about 10km before it did it again so I called my dad again and he came and picked up me and my car. We trailered my car all the way home again and have had a look at it some more.

The problem
It starts sometimes and runs for a random amount of time until it splutters and eventually stalls. We checked the spark and injector pulse (while it was playing up and not starting) and found it was not sparking and had a small strange pulse on the injectors. I pulled out the CAS to do some tests on it. With the crank angle sensor pulled out and plugged back in with the ignition turned on I got my multimeter out and here's what it read while turning the crank angle sensor shaft.

Pin 1 (180 degree signal) - Fluctuates from 5v to 0.1v (correct)
Pin 2 (1 degree signal) - Fluctuates from 5v to 0.1v (correct)
Pin 3 (battery voltage) - 12v (correct)
Pin 4 (ground) - 0v (correct)

All results correct - But because my car was running sometimes but not others I was guessing that the crank angle sensor was working when I tested it. I then unplugged it and accidentally dropped it at the same time so thought I'd just test it again, here's what I got.

Pin 1 (180 degree signal) - Fluctuates from 1v to 2v at random times (incorrect)
Pin 2 (1 degree signal) - Fluctuates from 1v to 2v at random times (incorrect)
Pin 3 (battery voltage) - 12v (correct)
Pin 4 (ground) - 0v (correct)

So either I've broken it when I dropped it or it plays up when it gets a bump causing the car to stall and then not start for a day or so. I'm hoping its the second one so I have ordered a new CAS.

Just wanted to know what you guys think about this and if crank angle sensors are a common problem?

Last edited:
L

legs of steel

I had the same prob with my drive car (not a s15) Road side assistance testing said it was the angle sensor,so I replaced it but the prob persisted, turned out to be the small wireing loom to the crank angle sensor was rubbed through and shorting out. $34 for the loom and $450 to trace the problem.

Reaction score
Country
Yeah things can be expensive! This did actually turn out to be my CAS ($450) but I'm glad that's what it was.