What's new

Starter Motor Problems

Reaction score
Country
I went to start her the other day to go shopping in Birmingham, and it slightly struggled to start, as if the battery was a little flat. As i hadn't used it for a while i thought it made sense, and didn't think any more about it, the drive to Birmingham would surely charge her back up nicely.

When i went to leave to head back home it struggled a little more, as if the the alternator hadn't charged the battery. When i got home, i turned the engine off, and to test - i tried to start again - now it didn't have the power to actually start it. it just turned over once, maybe twice. IMO it was the alternator.

That was a few days ago, and today was the first opportunity to investigate.

I first tested the battery, and that was showing relatively a full charge. I pulled around my dad's Saab and tried to jump start it, and the same symptoms - it was struggling to turn over, as if the battery was virtually dead.

So it looks like the starter motor itself. has anyone had experience with this? any suggestions? or straight forward new starter motor?

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Mind did almost identical thing. Sounded like it struggles then eventually just ended up clicking once with every turn of the key. It could pop the motor out but not turn it. If you get in there with a mallet and bang the starter motor whilst trying to turn it I unstuck mine enough to drive it home!

Ordered a s14 one and solved the issue!

Reaction score
Country
sounds good Mike, i was going to ask if the S14 starter fits, but i do have a local guy who recon's cheap enough so may be an option.

I will give it a BANG tomorrow and see if it is enough to start, to confirm the fault.

Reaction score
Country
starters are easy............ only a few bolts you just need small hands as its a jap car unbolt from underneath then pull out from up top.. before you remove it first check the wires going to the starter, especially the little strap on the starter that goes from the solenoid to the starter itself, these things require huge amperage draw to work well and wiring thats not up to scratch will cause you heaps of problems

John-

Reaction score
Country
What spoonman said really, and dont forget to disconnect the battery! Prepare for alot of wiggling and swearing.
Although it might go really smoothly! Mine went back in in minutes!

Reaction score
Country
key thing to remember is "You cant be a pussy your whole life" (my line for the year)

Reaction score
Country
Just to follow up this thread for anyone searching for the cure - it was the brushes in the starter, £40 repair. It actually worked on his test bench, but he described it as 'Lazy', pin pointing the brushes as the problem.

Fitted back in - Job done.