What's new

Steering wheel shake/shudder

Reaction score
Hi,
I've had this for quite some time now. At one stage the front wheels were well out of balance and I ran like this for a while. Since sorting new wheels and tyres which have now been balanced 3 times I still have a slight shake which can get worse and then better again whilst driving at the same speed on the motorway... I'm guessing the steering rack bushes have been knackered and now just a 5g out of balance causes the shake... anyone else had something similar? Can't think what else would cause it apart from maybe some other front suspension bushes?

ps. it got worse and better (!) depending on Tension rod length changes

Reaction score
Country
^^ yep, that was causing mine to wobble/vibrate whilst not even applying the brakes. i had the discs skimmed (k-sport 330mm) and has been great since.

A

AdamB

Does it get worse when braking? Have new discs been fitted recently. If hub face isnt cleaned properly will cause judder

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
I got the same problem at the moment, little bit of play in the drivers side wheel when you shake or move it. Happened ever since i put a new tie rod on the passenger side but not the drivers side could the new one of worn out the old drivers side tie rod?

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Jay, your issue is probably in the steering arm inner joint, you've replaced the tie rod end but the movement is in the joint.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Sorry mate only just seen this, sounds a bit stupid. But would this be where the inner tie rod screws into? haven't got a diagram?

Reaction score
Country
I changed my inner tie rods ( the full thing ) and had it tracked I still get a slight wobble on the motorway ,im not to sure what's wrong but I will get to it .

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Let me know, no garages around here can get my car on the ramps. One last garage i am going to try this weekend see if they can get it on the ramps