What's new

Tires and starting advice.

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Evening,

Not sure if you saw my other post in general but i need two front tires, I've had a snoop around but just after some advice really, what do you run what would you buy in my situation? Car isnt commuted in, used 2-3 times a week, spirited driving when its actually driven on weekends.

Having starting issues to, battery seems so weak, turns the car maybe once, then nothing and the classic "clicking" but then will just make whining noise for a while then fire up..... hour drive later shut off. Try to start five mins later, nothing. The battery is just one plonked in my Torque gt i imagine, gonna test in tomorrow some time, but which batteries are you guys running? I had trouble in my evo years back with these daft tiny batteries!

Cheers in advance!

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Falken fk452's are very good for the money mate, not cheap but by no means expensive at all ;)

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Cool, yeah i never had an issue with them just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions! Cheers!

S

S15 SILVIA

I'm running yoko advan sport, which I find great, but have nothing to compare to sorry.
I also have issues with the battery on my car. Think the problem is that we don't use the cars enough. I had a brand new battery on my car soon after I bought it, and I still get the same issues as you.
I do only use mine about once a week or two tho. :)
I actually bought a solar powered trickle charger the other day, to hopefully keep it alive, but time will tell if that works.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
After battery number two I started deisconnecting it when I knew I would be using it for a while.... Reconnect after a few months even and it starts on the first tuen every time :)

Reaction score
Country
i run goodyear eagle F1's, the new directional 5's. they are the new version that are meant to be better then the famous GSD3's. Next best thing to a semi slick i think and they last a hell of alot longer then most performance tires too when it comes to track days, they are too good for a daily driver but great for a weekend car

Reaction score
Sorry for the on topic hijack. Where do you guys buy your tyres from in the UK. I haven't bought new tyres for over 3 years due to one reason or another and just had a look on black circles for 17 inch tyres, looking at the two models suggested in this thread, and falken 452 where ~140 and eagle f1 where ~215. Is this really the price per tyre these days?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I run Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's on mine all round (225 front and 255 rear). Did quite a bit of reading up about them beforehand and seems a popular choice for M5 owners too. I've done a 150 mile trackday and many sprints too. They perform exceptionally well in the dry but can't really comment on wet weather performance.

As for the price.. My last set of rears were over £300 so they aren't cheap but tyres are something I want the best of.

www.camskill.co.uk is a good place for tyres in the UK.

:)

Reaction score
What profile do you run Craig and what width are your tyres, that's cheaper than the eagles from black circles so doesn't sound too bad, I really can't justify over 850 for 4 tyres but am not intereted in running budget tyres either.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
225 40 18 front and 255 35 18 rear. The profiles are physically the same overall due to the different widths, so good sizes to run if you want staggered widths :)

Reaction score
Camskill is much better, just browsing now and a nice mid range tyre like the falken 452's are only 100 each, which is much more like I was expecting.

S

S15 SILVIA

Well I payed £140 a tyre for the front 225-40-18,
And £160 a tyre for the rear 235-40-18. Yoko advan sport, but that was bout 3 months ago.

Think prices have gone up recently. Paid £100 for a pair of non brand Budgets for the mrs corsa the other day 185-55-15, couldn't believe it. First time I've ever bought budgets, and that's only because branded versions started at about £125. Just can't warrant spending that on a ****ty corsa. Lol

Reaction score
I only have to get 17's thankfully so they are a little cheaper.

Has anyone ran their car with both falken452's and a premium brand, and give a comparison?

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Just been quoted by a friend 92,50 quid for the 225/40/18 falkens. Sold! But car wont move....

Tested my battery and kicks out just over 12v, and still just clicks, linked another battery just incase and just clicks again. :( Any opinions? Starter motor maybe? :(

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
Yes, if you have fitted a new battery and it still doesn't turn over but clicks then it sounds like the solenoid picks but the starter isn't firing out... Give it a few taps with a rubber mallet while trying starting it, hopefully it will fire, but if it continues to do it, it will need to come off and be looked at...

You can see the starter under the rear of the inlet manifold and should be able to tap it by reaching up under the car from behind the drivers wheel ;)

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
If you are still looking for tyre recomendations, I've been running Hankook V12's all round on my S15, I first tried them on my LCR and loved them, pretty good price wise I think as well.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yup I have run pirelli pzero and michelin pilot sports I personally think the falken are on par with the pirelli ,the michelin performed better but are a lot more expensive,toyo t1r are decent but chew up quickly,would try the r1r but the price put me off . I paid 400 fitted for a set of 18" tyres 225 40 front and 255 35 rear bloody good price imo pricematched with camskill cheapest around imo

Reaction score
Country
Think i'll check that website out, as I need I think all 4 tyres done.

Why did I have to get 19" rims.

The tyres are gonna cost me bomb lol.

Last edited: