What's new

turbo gone??

R

Russ

hey all

went out this morning and car was fine, went to shop, wen came back out and started up was a very rough idle and sounded like a scooby, managed to get home, felt like lacking some power, but noticed blue smoke appearing, switched off, opened the bonnet and some blue smoke was drifting up from the drivers side of the engine, near the rear.. help:confused:

update:
left it for 40mins, then started back up, seems ok now, gave some revs and just some white puffs from the exhaust. now im even more confused.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sounding like a 'Subaru' usually indicates that the engine is not firing on all cylinders...

Reaction score
Country
Could be its not firing one cylinder. This could be caused by the coilpacks being dead, or a duff spark plug, or the coilpack loom braking down. Next time it does it you should un plug your coil packs one at a time. If the engine barely manages to idle that's because the engine is now on two cylinders so that pack is ok. If it stays the same you'll know which pack or plug to investigate. often its the one nearest the bulk head. Good luck

Reaction score
Under the coil pack cover, which is held down with six 5mm Allen headed screws. You'll need to remove this, if you have one.

Reaction score
Country
Coil packs sit on top of the spark plugs dude. One of the turbo gaskets may have gone also, as they're down that side of the engine by the bulkhead.

Reaction score
Country
Not trying to sound like a (something) here, but if you arent sure where the coilpacks are, then it might be worth taking it to a local garage and letting them have a look over it. Not saying fix it, just have a look over and tell you what they think the issue is. They'll be able to tell if its misfiring or whatever, then you can work the solution out without paying garage fees :)

Reaction score
Country
To me if sounds like more a boost leak hense the smoke and it also makes it sound like that.

Happens to me all the time when I pop a boost pipe on drift days

R

Russ

update...

took for a drive down to shops today, 20mins each way. way there was fine...however going back home, started up and problem was there, restarted few times no change, so thought time limp home..but...but... it corrected itself on the way, kinda felt like the car was expelling something, or burped and was fine all way home... so that to me says cant be coilpack or sparks as cyclinder wouldnt fire on a running engine would it? so lose hose or something?

Reaction score
Country
Nah mine does this sometimes and its a coilpack. If you go over a bump it'll randomly start misfiring and it will fix itself if I hit bumps to. Do the process I mentioned in my previous post and that'll give you an idea of where to look next.

Reaction score
Country
If its intermittent then its more than likely to be an electrical issue somewhere along the line, either a bad earth, or bad connection, deteriorated wire, SOMETHING of that nature, causing the ignition system (again somewhere along the lines) to either break the circuit, or just not be in enough contact to remain running smoothly.

Like a few have said, a coilpack would be a simple fix if thats the issue. You can test these easily too, assuming you can catch the engine at a time when its misfiring. Just whip the coilpack and spark plug out, one at a time and turn the engine over, with the spark plug resting near an earth. you should see a spark. if theres no spark, you've lost connection somewhere down that line. = coilpack/sparkplug/that short section of wire where they split at the rear of the engine. :)

A boost issue shouldnt make it run on any less cylinders. it'll just run like a bag of.. we all know what. juddering, overfuelling (exh smoke), etc.

check all your electricals around that area and see what you find, clean earths, re earth, clean plugs, coilpacks.. and see what happens.

Reaction score
When my coil pack was going it did the same thing, very intermittent and unpredictable. I would drive somewhere, park it and come back to it firing on 3 cylinders. Took it to the mechanics twice, and by the time I got there it was fine. Third time I got there and it was still running rough,put the consult on and that's how we found it was a dodgy coil pack.

R

Russ

update: thought i had fixed the problem as i fiddled with the coilpack connectors and the engine seemed to fix itself, but then today as i went to put my foot down to accelerate it returned, and seemed to stay as i waited collect someone, but then it sorted itself again driving home, could this be a dodgy pipe somewhere that seals itself somehow?

Reaction score
Country
that definately confirms its the coils mate, get them replaced otherwise driving it around on 3 cylinders isnt going to do it any good. could fcuk the turbo and will definately ruin your cat due to the unburnt fuel being pumped through it (this will bring up engine management light)

R

Russ

strange as i had it at the garage sat morning and they couldnt get it running roughly, i can only guess its the 2nd coil from rear as that was the one i touched when it sorted itself before. have got one on route to me from dealer so will replace and see if occurs again

Reaction score
Country
good stuff, have you had the plugs out to check those? check for cracked ceramic, dirty head etc