What's new

turbo problem, need help!

Y

yewei

anyone out there, i need help. i'm driving a s15 n i seems to have problem with my turbo. :cry: whenever my turbo starts to spool, it make a flickering sound, well at least till higher rpm then it disappear, the flickering sound is always there when it spools at like 3k rpm? :confused: can anyone give me a hand on wats probally going on? THANX! appreciate it lots! :ghey:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
It sounds like an exhasut leak.
I think it is a gasket aound the turbo area.

upped the boost lately?
Fitted any exhaust parts?

V

Vandal

It is hard to say without hearing it. Could be 'turbo flutter', which is excess pressure hitting the spinning compressor blades. Still, I would err on the side of caution and get someone to look at it.

Y

yewei

well i jus hope nothings wrong with the turbo, dun mind if its the gasket, or an exhaust leak. it'' will be a headache if its really the turbo :rant: anyway thanx for replying guys! btw nicely, about the pigeon sound, is tat from ur car? cool! i like! :notworthy: wat bov are using?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
That was from my S14. There's was BOV or recirc. The noise is produced by back pressure blowing on the spinning turbo. You still get it if you recirc or run certain BOVs.

Y

yewei

hey guys i've finally solved my problem! :thumbs: it was my boost control valve which was making all that flickering sound! jus had to adapt some rubber between the screws n problem solved! anyway thanx a bunch for reply! u guys are the best! :notworthy:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
DUDE, I have the same problem, is it the rubbers around the fixing mounts you needed to sort to stop it??

I have tried another boost solenoid and it does the same :nod:

Y

yewei

all u have to do is not let the boost control valve touch ur car body, so just attach some rubber washers between it n screw it back in :thumbs: wat a relief it was after the noise went away in my car :cool:

Y

yewei

nicely, ur talking about the hks boost controller rite? i'm using a profec b II, the machenic told me tat its a common thing for my boost controller because during installation. my boost control valve was attached with the rubber washers tat comes along with the unit :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
No, I was on about the A'PEXi AVR-R. All the solenoids click, but the AVC-R is renowned for it when not insulated (like you've done with yours).

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
So are we saying that the GReddy one i have, and the Apex'i one i've borrowed both click because the rubber supplied with the GReddy unit it rubbish??

I had my car on a Dyno to see what the problem was and i felt the solenoid while clicking, its very violent and i'm not sure some better rubber would solve the problem :no:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its only if the solenoid comes in direct contact with the bodywork. I resonates through the metal and intensified the noise...

Y

yewei

i'm sorry, i meant tat my car wasn't attached with the rubber washer tat come along with the unit during installation. :( so yea, jus make sure tat ur boost control valve doesnt comes in direct contact with the bodywork :thumbs: topper, u shud try the rubber washers. i know it doesnt quite make sense. but if u dun try, u'll never know rite? :cool:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I have the rubber washers fitted but tightened very hard to try stop it moving :rolleyes:

When you put your hand on the solenoid whe its clicking it is very violent :nod: so i dont think the rubbers will fix it, but i'll try :D