What's new

Turbo

B

barnes

Hey,

Ive got a spec s s15 and im looking to put a turbo in it.. im just looking to see what sort of money im looking at? and what is involved exactly.. i dont know much about turbos so any help is appreciated.

cheers

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Engine swap appears to be a much easier / cheaper option here in Ireland. Although the owners in New Zealand appear to do the +T regularly!

You can't just bolt a turbo onto it becuase the compression ratios are different and all of the engine internals appear to be too. You could lower the compression & convert it to run on E85 but tuning the car for reasonable power will be very expensive...

B

barnes

UGHH :( lol.. ok all in all you would prob be talking about €2500 and then would you have to upgrade the brakes etc...?

Reaction score
you can buy a cheap sr20det second hand from the uk, really not that expensive. Ive seen engines go from 200gbp up to 2000gbp. Much cheaper option and the same engine other then the 6 speed box.

Reaction score
no if you have a 5 speed box then it will mate with the sr20det from the s14a ;). Id recommend a power fc or nistune system while you do the conversion. Possibly refresh the engine before you put it in aswell.

B

barnes

Sorry if im a bit dumb on this.. but with a 5 speed gear box i can get a s14.a engine and its a straight swap?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yep although remember the S14 SR engine is around 200 bhp stock and the turbos are slightly less quick at spooling up compared to the S15 version.

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
I would definately upgrade the front brakes as the standard Spec S ones are poo! The rears appear to be the same! I would also upgrade suspension and chasis because the Spec S doesn't have all of the chasis bracing that the R has. So NISMO suspension link Bushes (stiffer than standard rubber bushings), Anti Roll Bar (at least rear but front and rear if you can afford it) and strut braces front and rear should sort you out :thumbs:

Reaction score
i have had this conversion done all though it wasn't just na to turbo it was also auto to manual too.

like everyone has said what you will need is:-

sr20det engine and gearbox (if you have a manual box already then that will work)

i needed a new ecu because i went manual aswell but not sure about yours don't think you need it.

some rewiring will have to be done though obviously (don;t know what this would be)

you will need a different exhaust or a downpipe

like trial said you will defo need to upgrade the brakes and wheels (if they are stock) as they won't fit over your new brakes.

also if your changing the brakes/disks imo it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to buy a s14 or a s14a for like £800 - £2000 and take the engine out, swap the rear subframes and same with the front and break the remainder of the car and recoup some money :) that is the cheapest option.

if you do do this though you might find you will need to use some of the s15 hub and the s14 hub because of the abs on the s15, for some reason my s14 calipers wouldn't fit straight on. Also the speed sensor for the s15 is on the diff on the s15 not on the gearbox so make sure you sort this if using the rear subframe fromt he s14

hope this helps mate :)

havent mentioned the obvious because i already have a 2way cusco diff, apex coilovers :)