What's new

Tyre recommendations

Reaction score
Country
Hi Guys

Okay here's the problem, I fitted brand new Michelin Pilot Sport 2's in Feb and they need replacing already..

That's normal daily driving too, no streeto or anything...my alignment settings are off a tad but mainly camber where as the wear on the tyres is very central (the 3 tread grooves in the middle have all worn down) so I'm thinking these are just utterly rubbish fast wearing tyres in general! Still 3 months is shocking!

Anyway I'm looking for some harder wearing tyres that will hopefully last longer...I will also be getting my alignment done soon when I order adjustable arms.

Any recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
That is quick, my pilot sports did me for about 16k on my type r and my mate managed 20k in his golf!
Very odd, I will be looking to get eagle f1 a2 next I think are well rated tyres, check www.tyrereviews.co.uk very good site to get an idea of the different tyres buddy

Reaction score
Country
That is quick, my pilot sports did me for about 16k on my type r and my mate managed 20k in his golf!
Very odd, I will be looking to get eagle f1 a2 next I think are well rated tyres, check www.tyrereviews.co.uk very good site to get an idea of the different tyres buddy
Wow 16k!

I think these must have covered no more than 2-2.5k :p Something is not quite right!

Reaction score
Country
centre of tyre worn first usually means they have been over inflated
was going to say this cant see it been down to camber or toe really be worth getting it checked while the michelins are on and like lads said get print out so they cant use the alignmeant excuse

Reaction score
Country
Checked yesterday actually, was at 40psi after 20mins of driving...took them down to 35.

My coilovers are also in need or been replaced as the ride is very crashy and bumpy at the back, could this increase wear?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
40 psi is defo why they have worn like that then mate, I run mine between 32-35.
Did thy set the pressure to that then?

Reaction score
Country
40 psi is defo why they have worn like that then mate, I run mine between 32-35.
Did thy set the pressure to that then?
Yeh garage who put the tyres on for me obviously put too much air in!

Doesn't pressure increase after driving though? So say I put 35psi on cold tyres, after driving it could be more like 38-40?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah that is true mate but the manufacturers recommendation for tyre pressures are calculated for cold tyres which is when you will get the most accurate pressure reading .
That's pretty naughty on their side, but they will jut say you should have checked them before now!
I had it when I picked up my last type r, felt like I had a puncture when I checked the tyres some were as high as 45 psi!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
MPS2 are great tyres, and wear really well. I had some 4mm part worns on my car for 6months of daily driving and they were still not worn out! So that's 6000 miles.

I fiited Goodyear eagle F1's 225/40/18's last month to the front of my car and can't rate them highly enough. I've driven on a lot of tyres and the only thing better are toyo888's or Bridgestone semi slicks rea80's that came on Subaru impreza spec C's. So for a daily car that will get driven hard they are the best.

I would say the over inflation is one problem but no way would 40psi cause all of that tyre wear. Your tracking is defo out and would get it 4 wheels aligned with caster check too.

Reaction score
Country
It might be worth having a word with the place that fit the tyres if they inflated them incorrectly!

Also, depending how bothered you are, if they are an approved Michelin dealer it could be worth contacting Michelin.

Reaction score
Country
I had bridgestone RE070's on mine, I think there the ones that Sam was talking about as they're standard fitment on impreza sti's. They were very grippy but quite soft, even so they lasted well. I'm going to try the new eagle f1 2's next I think

Reaction score
Country
Ive got Events on my S15 and its 32psi all around. Thats what was recomended to me by SVA Imports. Tyres are all good.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Yeah the re070's are such cool road tyres! wish they werent so expensive and came in 18's on scoobies!

Events are a budget tyre and not what i would call a performance tyre, they are cheap and maybe why sva put them on your car? What model of Events are they?

Reaction score
Country
The Bridgestone's were nearly 100 bucks a corner when I bought them, now they're down to £84. I'd recommend them. For me tyres are the most important part of build. If you put ditchfinders on a powerful car, your gonna have a bad time.

Reaction score
Country
Will have to look up the make of Event tyres i'm running, I realize there not the best of the best, but I kid you not, they have done me really well since putting them on back in May 2011.

Looking to get 2 new rears now though, as they are just now starting to wear.

Anyone used Yokohama tyres on there S15 and are they any good?