Water Ingress

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Hi :wave:

After returning from another show at Knockhill, i got home and put the car away, as i went to get out i noticed the left hand side of my footwell was wet where my clutch foot had been sitting. I was raining a little on the way home, but nothing serious. Last night i took the trims etc off and lifted the carpet, there was a puddle underneath :eek:

I left the car last night with the window down and carpet up to let it air, after having cleared as much of the water as i can. Now i need to find where its coming from :rolleyes:

There were no obvious signs, the rear screenwash pipe runs past the drivers seat but it wasnt wet, nor did it have any holes in. I havent looked underneath yet, but from feeling around, the only wet areas are the floor :confused: the rest of the.............l sponge/sound deadening stuff is dry and unmarked, where as the footwell carpet is slightly stainded where the water has been.

Anyone else had this or heard of anything like this?? Will take some pictures tonight.

J

Jono

Erm... sounds like bad news buddy, nothing to do with condensation from the Aircon system? I used to get that in my ClioSport - but it didn't well up under the carpet mind. :confused:

:rolleyes: Good luck sorting it!

T

Tom

i had the same problem with an audi a few years back and we traced it down to the heater matrix leaking. but this was also causing the windscreen to fog up every time you started the car, which is fairly obvious. but it might be worth checking your coolant levels.
tom

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You're going to have to see if it does it on dry days too. If it does, then its got to be internal. As mentioned, check your coolant.

Water can arrive in the cabin from the craziest places. I'm trying to track down two in the Hilux. Think I know the primary cause, but last week I spotted rain water dripping down from the dash! :confused: Its got to be coming in from somewhere high up behind the dash. Doesn't help you, I'm afraid, but it does show that it gets in from unexpected places.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
What do you guys mean by my coolant level??

My Rad if full to the brim :nod: I hadnt used the Air Con at all, and havent since August last year, i live in Scotland remember :wave:

S

S15R

Topper said:
What do you guys mean by my coolant level??

My Rad if full to the brim :nod: I hadnt used the Air Con at all, and havent since August last year, i live in Scotland remember :wave:

about the coolant
because the heater use the coolant when its hot for heat
thats why you dont get heater when the engine is old :D

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You may want to remove the air relief bolt, then see if the level suddenly drops. It should piss water out of the hole, so be prepared to put the bolt back in in a hurry. Don't drop it...

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
You may want to remove the air relief bolt, then see if the level suddenly drops. It should piss water out of the hole, so be prepared to put the bolt back in in a hurry. Don't drop it...
Ok, will give that a try, if it does fall, what will this prove??

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I dont see how if i had a coolant leak it would be at my feet :confused:

Is it just a case of undo'ing the bolt untill fluid comes out, then topping up if required??

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The heater matrix, which is behind the dash, has engine coolant running through it.

Removing the air relief valve clears any air locks in the coolant. If topping-up/refilling, you should fill until coolant come out of the hole, replace the bolt, then fill to the top of the rad.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Ah ok, so if i take the bolt out and there is no air the colant its going to pi$$ out of the bolts........ great :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Website
www.coordsport.com
First things first dip your finger in the water and taste it :eek:
because if its sweet it contains anti freeze, so it's from your coolant.

Did you have your aircon on ? if so it could be from the drain on that,
as i know of alot of toyota yaris's and nissan micra's that have suffered the same,
it could be the drain pipe form the aircon blocked or come loose.

I maybe totally wrong but its worth a try ;)

kimi x

P

paulphot

My wifes commodore had a similar problem after getting air con work done, a small piece of rubber had blocked one of the a/c drain hoses and water started dripping onto the carpet in the drivers side footwell. Maybe the drain pipe is blocked. Are we talking about a lot of water (1 litre) or a little (100ml) ?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Well i looked again last night, after having left the carpet up and window down to air it out, i took some pictures of the location but forgot to take the camera with me today :rolleyes:

Anyway, i took out the air releif bolt and coolant came flying out of it, so replaced and topped up, so no problem there. Also if it was coolant the water would have been a green ish colour, but this was clear.

I didnt have the Aircon on, and havent since about August last year :no: Kimi, you forgetting where i live.....

I am still at a loss as to where its coming from, Nicely suggested taking it out in the dry and see if it happens, so will try that 1st :nod:, the car also needs a wash so will try spraying water under the car to s if it comes through :eek:

Any other suggestions welcome :wave:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If it not the coolant, taking it out in the dry isn't going to prove anything now.

I would actually start hosing the car well on the windscreen and around its base first. Lots of water. Check for leaking. Next try the driver's wheelarch and check for leaking. Finally, try underneath.

The underneath stays relatively dry, so its more likely to be coming from the base of the windscreen (via the drainage channels) or the wheel arch if its fresh water.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Hoping to wash the car tonight so will give that a try :thumbs:

This picture showns where the water is sitting, its a bit blurry as i took it using "Night mode" but where the white (ish) towel is on the floor is where is ponding -

J

Jono

You haven't wet yourself at some point taking a corner too quick have you? Dribbling down your left trouser leg and pooling up in the area shown? :D ;) :p