What's new

What is this for?

Reaction score
Right its time to start tidying my car up under the bonnet and cleaning things up a little. There are a few bits I'm not happy with that've been ghetto bodged previously :(

But one random thing I came across on my travels is OE fit but I don't know the purpose of it...

If you look at the pic the red pipe is purely a piece of plastic that doesn't seem to do anyhting... the lugs have snapped off where they bolt to the rocker cover which bugs me... As such there is a rubber blanking plate where I have shown the blue square on the pic. It cant serve a purpose IMO bar giving the wiring something to clip onto unless this sort or small expansion chamber is actually necessary? I'm considering moving the wiring harness clips and removing this pipe altogether if its not a problem. I can simply move the rubber cap to where I have shown the green square and in effect eliminate this pipe. Does it serve an important purpose or will it previously have been unblocked?

Reaction score
When I first got my car this was removed, it is used to recirculate the vented air from the stock recirculated dump/BOV to the intake side. On my car it would cause my setup to backfire, and sometimes stall at traffic lights. I reinstalled it and got new hoses and got the HKS SSQV recirculating fitting and never had any regrets, car was smoother, no backfires or popping on shifts and my gas consumption was noticeably better. Having a BOV vented on a stock ECU causes an incorrect signal to be sent to the ECU as the vented air to the atmosphere is not recorded causing extra fuel to be dumped in the mixture and also causing there to be unburnt fuel in the combustion mixture hence the popping on shifts. Someone correct me if I am wrong, my advice fix the clamps and keep it or run a blow through setup to keep it vented.

Reaction score
Well my dumpvalve in an SSQV dumping to atmosphere so as such it's not needed for the time being. I'll remove it for now until I get hold of a recirc in replacement then I'll probably fit some silicon hoses in place of this, cheers for the heads up :)

Reaction score
TriniGT, you are right,its the return for the BOV to the intake and yes it will cause you to run very rich if its disconnected.
If you are still running the stock AFM(which you are) then the stock ECU will over fuel to compensate for the loss of air from the BOV return.

Your plugs will fowl up quicker, it won't do you O2 sensor(lambada) any good and over time will kill your cat.

If you have an after market ECU you can tune your AFR's to compensate

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
I'd say keep it for when you add the recirc valve in - I've seen some set-ups with silicon hoses running round the front of the engine and they don't look as tidy IMHO.

Reaction score
TriniGT, you are right,its the return for the BOV to the intake and yes it will cause you to run very rich if its disconnected.
If you are still running the stock AFM(which you are) then the stock ECU will over fuel to compensate for the loss of air from the BOV return.

Your plugs will fowl up quicker, it won't do you O2 sensor(lambada) any good and over time will kill your cat.

If you have an after market ECU you can tune your AFR's to compensate
Hmmm... That's interesting. Kind of sounds like a no brainer as to running a re-circ valve. I cant really afford to buy a recirc at the mo, is there any way I can adapt my SSQV? I dont think there is seeing as its the version with the merc style star over the outlet...

I agree it would look tidies with a piece of silcon hose running to this rather than in replacement to, the only reason I was thinking of getting shut is because the two mounts that bolt to the rocker cover seem to have broken and so as such from memory I think it's only held in place with the wiring harness... It's nothing major but I can be quite an4l and like things to be right... hence why I'm redoing a few bits tonight that're semi bodged with cable ties etc :wack:

On a side note... on the fan cover some of the plastic has gone white and looks aged... you know when you bend plastic and it turns white like its been weakened? It has that sort of look to it but its not dirt, its as if something has reacted with the plastic, will sanding it make a mess and remove the shine or should it bring it back to life with some fine grit wet dry?

M

Matt_S

I recirced an SSQV using the std pipework on my S14 with a little bit of jiggery pokery. I literally just cut the std hose thats fromn the std DV, twisted the SSQV on its mount and (with the recirc adapter) go it to bolt up to the std recirc pipework.
That pipe by the way is the same on an S14 if you needed another (clean, unbusted lug) one.

M

Matt_S

I'd say keep it for when you add the recirc valve in - I've seen some set-ups with silicon hoses running round the front of the engine and they don't look as tidy IMHO.
Ive done it. Two reasons.
1) It didnt have the std pipework on as it was running Atmos when I got it
2) THe bigger bore pipe should help get the air thro quicker.

Reaction score
I actually had the SSQV on a Greddy Coldside pipe and the rubber hose was not long enough so what I did was took my old rubber intake that had the metal pipe for the recirculating fitting and yanked it out, it does pull out with some force and stuck the fitting in the end of the pipe and clamped it and then got a second piece of hose attached it from the fitting to the BOV, it all looked stock. Pays to keep all my old supplies ;).

Reaction score
The problem I have is my SSQV is like this:

So I can't fit anything to it as I wouldn't be able to connect or seal it... I dont think its a removable insert? is it...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
I thought all the inserts were interchangable. Not seen one in the metal, but looking at it I imagine you just need to remove the cap head bolts around that front edge in order to remove the main housing and allow you to change the ends.

Matt S > See your point about wanting a larger bore, makes sense if you;re upping the boost levels much beyond standard.

I have an 'associate' lives just round the corner now making up carbon fibre bits, was thinking about giving him one of those very pipes to do in carbon - and can increase the bore of it at the same time I imagine.

Reaction score
To the fornt of the SSQV like you have shown there are some allen bolts that need to be removed and then the entire front shell will come off revealing the mercedes platic thingy lol. That can then be removed and the recirculating fitting fitted and the housing then refitted and allen bolts put back on.

Reaction score
Also there are different bore sizes form HKS you need to specify what you want, hopefully one to suit your hose inner diameter.

M

Matt_S

To the fornt of the SSQV like you have shown there are some allen bolts that need to be removed and then the entire front shell will come off revealing the mercedes platic thingy lol. That can then be removed and the recirculating fitting fitted and the housing then refitted and allen bolts put back on.

What he said, then you fit this:

And refit the front shell.

I got mine from Sumo Power for about £10 delivered IIRC.