Yashio Water Temp HELP!!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hi folks :)

Either I'm being dumb or summat but the Yashio 'Okachan' Water Temp gauge does not seem to be as straight forward as I thought?!

Here's a pic of all the bits I got (this is the version that plugs into the S15 consult etc):

The green wire highlighted by the green box is labelled 'LED' - do I have to wire this up??

Also the brown/white wire with clip at the end highlighted by the brown box is confusing - do I also need to wire this up as well??

I've just tried plugging in the gauge to the consult plug and when ignition turned on, it just shows '1' on the display and nothing else. I tried pressing all the buttons but nothing changes??!! :confused:

Can anyone help pleeeeez :thumbs:

Cheers,

James

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
yeah I was thinking that the green wire maybe dims the gauge when the driving lights are turned on?? Like the Defi gauges do this as well...

Minto?? Starlet Rick?? :)

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Green hooks up to the Lights to allow the Okachan to 'dim' at night, as its bright.. but i didnt bother.

The additional one, pass.. you dont need it. I only have the one connected up to the consult plug through the dash. Stupid question i know, but did you turn the car on and go for a drive?

If not.. do so, it needs to be on to work for correctly.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
wait. does the brown plug connect to the random empty one at the top left corner of the green box???

EDIT: nevermind, the consult plug can be used for many info reading, that additional brown leads will be for a further function. Either or, I didnt get one or have it fitted.

hope that clears it up :) Honestly, its plug and play chief :D into the consult, job done. Best thing to fit in the world imo!

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Thanks for clearing everything up - yes I did just try it and plugged it to consult then turned on car but it showed a value of '1' and nothing else.

Maybe driving it and seeing what happens might change things lol?!

Will report back :)

Cheers dude - J :thumbs: :thumbs:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ok this is buggin me lol??!!

Drove it for a fair bit tonite and it just shows the number '1' and stays like this all the time. Pressed all buttons - held all buttons but nothing changes :( Pulled out consult then plugged it back in - still the same.

Funny thing also is that it keeps flickering with '0.00' for a millisecond every few seconds.

I'm stumped - is it fooked??!!

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
hmm odd, when I turn the ignition on, it shows 1, then flicks up to around 20-30. Then when I turn the car on on.. it shows me the actual temp.

Where in the UK are you again? Where did you get it from?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'm in Shropshire which is the West Mids region dude...

Bought it from RHDJapan so dunno how I'm gonna sort this out lol?!

I've Google searched and found someone else with exact same problem but the label on the box definitely said 'S15' so it's definitely the correct version!!

http://www.drifting.com/forums/tech-discussion-forum/19512-yashio-factory-temp-gauge-problem.html

Could there be an issue where by I've had an Apexi PFC fitted recently and this buggers the way the consult works?? Not sure about how replacement ECU affects everything else but my thoughts are it shouldn't cos it's plug n play direct replacement - just mappable...

Cheers

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Is there no way of hardwireing it into the ECU plug instead of using the consult port?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Dunno mate - I'll have to work out which wires between the two sides!! Not sure if I wanna start splicing into ECU wires so maybe need to get someone to help lol?!

But then again, may as well sell this and get the Defi water temp sensor and harness which I should have done in the first place since I already got Defi Link Display unit plus Link Control Unit II :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'm fairly sure we could get it working if you want to, but it would have to be tapped into the ECU feed. Let me know if you want to give it a go and i'll pop over.

I eventually want to get the Defi setup like yours with the oil temp and pressure etc. Its good having it in one display unit! :)

Reaction score
Country
why do you have to use the consult connector? the kit comes with a water temp sensor so all you need is a rad hose connector.
it looks like the consult connector is given you power just not a temp reading. so just use it for powering the gauge and the sensor to get you temp reading.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
and even if you get a defi gauge you still need a rad hose connector for a water temp sensor.

Correct me if im wrong but if you got a power fc hand controller dont it give you a water temp reading? as thats what i use to monitor my temp??

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah but I ordered this gauge before I got the Apexi PFC fitted and being a dumbass I forgot about the hand controller having water temp display. But TBH, it's nice to have a brightly lit separate display for track days when I need to glance and not try and stare and the small hand controller screen lol!!

This Yashio pack didn't come with the water sensor - just the consult plug and an extra wire with harness (the brown/white one).

Can anyone confirm which coloured ECU wire is for water temp - is it gonna be brown/white?? If so then I'll splice into this to see if it works...

Thanks for all the help :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Thanks Ray :thumbs: Will give PIN 18 a try tonight...

Do you or anyone else think I'll be ok to splice the brown/white wire into PIN 18?? The other question would be that this brown/white thing is a double wire (2 separate ones joined together). Does this mean one takes the positive signal and the other is earth/ground?? Soz but I'm not very clued up about electrical wiring!!

Last edited: