What's new

Z33 (350Z) 6-speed swap info wanted

Reaction score
Country
Heyo!

I'm interested in doing a Z33 tranny swap into my S14A engine, currently have a busted 5-speed one and S15 6-speed are no where to be found around here... just wondering if any of you guys have done this swap, or if knows what is involved in doing it... cheers!:cool:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Doubt it's ever been done tbh mate, stick with the SR 5 speed, alot cheaper and common and as strong as a s15 6 speed!

Reaction score
Country
It had been done, search the Zilvia forum for Z33 conversions, your find some people selling conversion kits. Don't know how strong they are and fact that there not more people doing them is worrying, but you'll find what you need.

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Mazworx are now developing a bolt on kit for the Z33 box. Ratios are not great though, iirc you need a longer ratio diff in an ideal world.

Reaction score
Country
Well basically i want 6 speed as imo is more comfortable than 5, but is hard to find 6 speed around here... i'll check zilvia forums to see what i can find on it...

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
5 Speed is stronger than the 6 :thumbs:
I still reckon this is a bit of a myth. I think the 6 speed has just got a bad rap because of the circlip problem.

As for doing a z33 conversion, this will probably end up costing a lot of $$$, hence why people aren't really doing this conversion.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Meant to be getting run on a lot of 500hp drag cars with good results, but cost will undoubtedly be an issue...

Reaction score
Country
I would just get the Z32 box and this adapter http://shop.engineeredtoslide.com/product/z32-gearbox-to-sr20-adapater as the Z32 is almost on a par with the R33 box, down in my part of the world they are becoming a common conversion as the Z32 box is tough as and way cheaper then the famous R33 box, heaps of drift silvias have this as they dont want the RB engine weight issue but want the strong box problem sorted.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
what is the size difference between the Z33 and the standard box? Is it big like the Z32? When I say big, I mean in reference to the standard 6 speed.

Reaction score
Country
well looking at the link that ichigo put up which shows pics of the S13 gears to the Z33 gears give a good idea as the 6speed were even smaller.

on another note i have had a look around, and good luck trying to find a Z33 gearbox as i found next to nothing, but what i did find was rather $$$

Reaction score
Country
I had a talk with one of the guys that did the conversion, first of all, this thing is huge and beefed up (lot of peeps confirmed me that is similar in strengh to the Z32 5sp), but luckily no tunnel modification is needed... you'll need adapter plate, grind off some of the original box casting, modify shifter bracker, modify clutch line, modify transmision mount and something about the driveshaft bc the teeth count is different... seems like a bit of a work, hehehe... the main reason for doing this is bc i can get a Z33 tranny for about US$ 200 in good cond., S15 6speed is impossible to find, and quite frankly i love the 6 speed, i mean, this car is meant to be driven with a 6 speed transmission guys! come on =P