What's new

2871 or gt-rs??

N

nices15man

i know you guys are pretty big fans of the gt-rs but is it really worth it for more than double the money of a 2871?... ive currently got greddy exh, fmic an profec b.. booking in next couple weeks for DJetro, inj, turbo and maybee poncams.. what do yous think

Reaction score
I just had a quick look on the HKS and Garrett websites, the specs for wheel dia's, trim and AF are identical for Compressor and Turbine therefore they must be the same!
Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i think the main difference is that the 28rs was made by garrett for hks to sell exclusively, when the contract was up garrett started to sell their own version - the 2871r:) i think that the specs and everything are much the same but the hks version spools a little quicker. someone correct me if im wrong.

and also so ive been told the .64 52 trim model is the one to get for all round usefulness, whereas the other 2871r's can produce more power but also a fair bit more lag.

Reaction score
i think the HKS GT-RS is slightly more refined than the 2871R.

The GT-RS also comes as a full kit with everything you need.... well, at least mine did! gaskets, locking tabs, oil banjo's.....

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
is the actuator different too? The GT-RS comes with a HKS actuator..

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
probably a hks adjustable actuator in that kit but from what i understand your t28r actuator is fine to be fitted to a 2871r, thats what jez is doing with mine. the ebc takes care of boost control anyway:)

N

nices15man

i spoke to a bloke from c-red in perth today and he reckons he's had em both apart next to each other and theyre pretty much exactly the same, its just the hks has some special housing or something that does f__k all.... 2871 for me thanks!

Reaction score
Country
whatever one you choose you wont be going wrong.

only things i would say is .64 exhaust housing is great for spool up minimum lag but it can suffer badly with boost creep if your running 3" full flow exhasut.

way around it is to bore out the turbo to allow the exhaust to flow better. or run a restricted exhaust.

I would stay away from the .86 exhaust housing as it is much laggier, only makes full boost at 4k-5k. would only us this if you building a crazy power SR.
on the plus the .86 housing does not suffer from boost creep.

Last edited:
N

nices15man

ok so i found a turbo 2871 .64 exh with .56 trim.. pretty much brand new, on ebay only done 300 km... im not too cluey on turbo's so help would be good.. whats the main differenc between the different trims? i know theres .48 .52 and .56 help!