What's new

admitting defeat :(

V

vti_coupw

hey lads, my gasket between the turbo and the mani decided to blow during the week, its taking all the joy out of driving my beloved 15, i went at it today and i was soo close but yet soo far..... i had the down pipe out, all the heat sheilds one of the lines to the turbo, when i noticed it would be a struggle to get the turbo away from the mani (due to the locking collar around the nuts) i decided to remove the manifold, i got 5 out of the 8 nuts loosend but i got stuck at the second bolt nearest the firewall on the top row of bolts,

the gap between the manifold and the nut is not long enough for me to get a ratchet and a socket on to it, ive bent a spanner in the process and everything, does anybody hav any ideas as tto how i can losen this nut and the two lower nuts in the middle of the manifold as there isnt enough room to get a ratchet and a socket to them either :(

this has maddened me to the highest degree, it was bad enough lying on my gravelled driveway doing it but not im stuck half way through, all helo is appreciated,
thanks
dave

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You have to remove the mani and turbo together anyway, so you haven't been unlucky there.

As for the mani nuts, yes, they can be a bastard. Soak them in WD40 overnight and try again. Some of the nuts can only be removed/tightened by spanner, I'm afraid.

V

vti_coupw

thanks lads, also will it lose much oil through the copper lines once disconnected form the turbo?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
No. However, refitting the hard pipes either goes right first time or you'll spend forever. Anyone who has done the job before (I've done it twice) will suggest replacing the pipes with braided lines. They are much easier to fit and won't crack and leak two weeks after you've finished...

V

vti_coupw

cheers nicely i was thinking about that alrright after reading past threads, can i get any braided line or does it had to be made to specifically for the 15?

S

ssshonky

I have found when doing this kinda work on a SR20DET in the past you either have to make " custom " tools - ie be dodgy and bend a spanner with a blowtorch , or invest in some tools that you might only use once in a blue moon , but when you DO have them they save sooo much time.

For instance stubby ratchets come in handy , and I recently got an " indexible head " ratchet from KC tools.

So my answer to this is look at the problem and figure out if you can get a tool that will save you lots of time.

Hope that helps! ( I am a n00b on here so treat me gentle )

Reaction score
decent set of combination spanners, then slotting the ring of a bigger spanner over the slotted end of the one you're using to undo the nut to give more leverage is always a good trick to remember! :)

personally, for the DIY mechanic, i can't rate halfords tools highly enough. they are exellent quality and life time warranty....

(apparently they're made by snap-on, just re-branded.... but i don't know how true that is.)

V

vti_coupw

i finally got the gasket fiited last thrsday, was such a PITA i also got braided lines made up aswell for half the price of online sites soo i was pretty happy there, when i took out the turbo and mani all the four nuts were loose :( so i did them up extra tight and gave the locking collars a good welt of a hammer repeatidly :) hopefully i wont hav to do that job again for a while, most of the mani studs were opened with a spanner i just kept soaking them every 15-20 mins while i was extracting everything else,
im a happy bunny now its back, i also hav a couple new bits lying around to be fitted so update in the "members ride" section due soon,