What's new

Alternator

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
Well... it's time to get to the bottom of this issue on my s15 once and for all.
The battery light has been lit for some time now, but the car has run fine and not flattened the battery for ages.
What started as an intermittent warning light is now permanent.
My local garage has stated that the car is 'overcharging' the battery, but I can't remember what they said the voltage was.
They tried to locate an alternator but were unsuccessful.
After searching around a bit I can't seem to find what alternator is fitted to out car.
So, will 23100 65F17 fit our engine?
There seem to be so many different options and I hope someone here can help me get to the bottom of the issue.
Any other advice would be welcome too.. location of earth to check etc?

Thanks guys
Russ

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
if the light is on , usually the alternator has stopped charging. Either way it will be your brushes or regulator. Any good auto electrical shop should be able to sort it for you.

DOM

Reaction score
My red light is on and have been told that it's overcharging too. It's putting out over 15 volts. Doesn't seem to cause too much of a problem at the moment however I have been advised it needs looking into, possible rebuilding.

So the car has to spend more time at the garage.

Does anyone know of any place that does replacement/swap or has fixed these in the past?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
Just as an update, I have now 'resolved' this issue.
After a combined total of about 3 weeks spread between 3 appointments in garages, my battery warning light is no longer on.
No-one seemed to be able to repair or refurb my alternator so I ended up buying on from a fellow member here.

When on the car, this alternator was still overcharging and the battery warning light still on.
A couple of tests later and a 'fix' was attempted.
A connection was made between the live side of the alternator and the feed to the battery warning light.
This has turned the light off and dropped the output of the alternator to an accepatble level (about 14V)

DOM

Reaction score
Just as an update, I have now 'resolved' this issue.
After a combined total of about 3 weeks spread between 3 appointments in garages, my battery warning light is no longer on.
No-one seemed to be able to repair or refurb my alternator so I ended up buying on from a fellow member here.

When on the car, this alternator was still overcharging and the battery warning light still on.
A couple of tests later and a 'fix' was attempted.
A connection was made between the live side of the alternator and the feed to the battery warning light.
This has turned the light off and dropped the output of the alternator to an accepatble level (about 14V)
Does the red light come on pre ignition an go off after startup?

DOM

Reaction score
did you run an extra cable from terminal 3 (L) of alternator to terminal 61 of the combination meter (warning light)?

Last edited:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
@ Raduga,

My appologies for not following through with the alternator. I got a little sidetracked with personal stuff. Glad to see that you fixed it.

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late replies. I'm not sure where the cable was run, it was done in a garage. If I get chance, I'll take a look over the weekend.
But the light still lights up on ignition and goes out as it should. The 'fix' still seems to holding up fine.

@Meddler

Thanks anyway pal. Looking at the fix that's been applied, I'm not sure replaciing the regulator would have done anything.

Rad