anyone had issues with S15 HID in relation to their highbeam

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The aftermarket HID kits won't support high beams without altering the setup (with the relay kit for example)

P

Pazz

The picture was taken from a discussion on SXOC HERE. The conclusion was that it is a Nissan Service light indicator. It has two lights, one for oil and the other for filter.

S

sillbeers15

Ok,...after the homework done, I'm going for the Philiips HID Kit instead of spending 10x on stock HID lamps and harness which isn't so great afterall.

Reaction score
Hi Mates,

I just tested my lights yesterday night (comes with factory fitted HIDs)...if i flash the high beam, the HIDs do come on which will be bad in the long run...with the low beam on, i noticed that when i flashed, the HIDs are kept on all the time...

now since you all have mentioned it, i would want to get the cookie kit to prevent any premature damage to my balasts...

where and who can i get the cookie set from?

:thumbs:

S

sillbeers15

Silviatub,

If yours are factory fitted HIDs, I'm sure you do not need any additional modification as the 'problem' would have been taken care by Nissan engineers.

Reaction score
Hi sillbeers15,

Nice to meet you mate...colin told me all about you...

anyway, mine is factory fitted HIDs...the problem is when i flash the headlights, the HIDs comes on as well...i want to ensure the HIDs are not turned on when i flash at slow vehicles in fast lane in daylight...

i read that the cookie can resolve this problem...thats why i want to get it...

:thumbs:

G

gunner93

Revived :

Those with stock HIDs - any idea where the ballasts are mounted in the bay? Is there a bracket? Need some idea here...:confused:

Sillbeers,

Have you fitted your Philips yet?

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Ive tried to contact cookie a few times by both pm and email to get my hands on one of these relay kits but have had nothing in reply.

Can you make these yourself and does anyone know how to make them (a diagram or something would be helpful :)).

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I very much doubt you will get a response from Cookie.

Just for info. I've been doing a little investigating about HID kits. Contrary to popular belief, companies which bandy about things like 'Real Philips kit!' 'Real Osram kit!' 'Real Hella kit' are being deliberately misleading. While some of the components in these kits are sometimes manufactured by the companies mentioned, the components aren't being put to their designed or intended use. Reputable companies like Philips, Osram, Hella, etc. never endorse this kind of "retrofit" usage of their products.

If you want some rather eye-opening info about HIDs and HID retro kits, have a read of this. I intend to continue using mine as nothing is worse than the standard S15 halogens! May consider changing the optics though.

S

sillbeers15

Gunner93,

I don intend to install my HID until I get a spray job done.....so it will be sometime down the road.

I have a pair of fabricated stainless plates which I intend to mount the starter and ballast + additional relay on each side and mount the plate to the chassis below the headlamps for a neat job.

Darren_S15,

To modify the circuit,

For bridging the low to high beam OFF than ON, connector a capacitor across the relay circuit that activates the HID power supply as posted in my earlier post.

For day flashing w/o turning ON the HIDs, fix an additional relay on each headlamp to use the parking lights power source to triger the HIDs as mentioned by NICELY previously.

Reaction score
Country
I've read somewhere that the ballast on the s15 is under the headlight.

I've just secured mine behind the overflow bottle and another one next to the fuse box.

G

gunner93

I've read somewhere that the ballast on the s15 is under the headlight.

I've just secured mine behind the overflow bottle and another one next to the fuse box.
Hi Ichi,

You are right! :nod: I saw the stock ballast under the headlights of Senthil's car when his front bar was off to install FMIC. 3 screws into the plastic housing and wires were short in that position connected into the back of the projected lamps.

The stock ballast were fooking huge. :eek: Probably bundled up with the starter in one go.