What's new

Big turbo = big power?

Reaction score
Country
Image5.jpgimage6_34.jpg

Ok, this 'ere graph is one i robbed off rhd japan. I was aimlessly browsing and came across the Yashio YP turbo.. and on the top of this graph its got the engine specs, the boost, and the power outputs.. (1st image low boost, 2nd image 1.5bar)

I was under the impression with only the basic mods that the engine has listed on that sheet, and a big turbo and lots of pressure, something would go pang? otherwise we'd all have a bigger turbo by now, surely?

anyone got any ideas?

Reaction score
My car has standard internal and has run a gt2871 at 1.4 bar for 15k miles, a gt3071 at 1.4 bar for 4.5k miles and now I'm running a gt3082 with no intention to touch anything but the cams.

Reaction score
Country
My car has standard internal and has run a gt2871 at 1.4 bar for 15k miles, a gt3071 at 1.4 bar for 4.5k miles and now I'm running a gt3082 with no intention to touch anything but the cams.
Oh ok well, that sounds simple enough. no need to start buying forged pistons etc then? :)

Jase, let me know if you want a mahoosive turbo. The next building from my work is a Scania depot ;)
thanks.. but i dont want a massive turbo off a truck, thanks :)

Reaction score
There's no particular reason why you should upgrade internals unless you start having issues. It's all in the mapping as far as detonation is concerned. I've seen countless standard Sr20det engines run well over 400bhp over the years, even 450 plus on a few cars. Just make sure you keep a close eye on things like air charge temps and engine cooling aswell.

In my opinion, you'll start to have transmission problems before engine problems.

Last edited:

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
It seems like the reasons why most people stay with smaller turbos is because they're cheap to buy/install (bolts on and retains manifold exhaust and piping), and because of the lag on a bigger turbo... and I use to be in that camp for a looooong time. I've ran the standard s15 turbo for about 6or 7 years because I was pro antilag... that was until I had to carry out turbo testing for work. Since then the quote that's stuck in my head is "lag is like foreplay, you know its coming, and you know its gonna be gooooood"

Reaction score
Running a gt3082 turbo on standard internals is stupid, a 500+ hp turbo on something running sub 400hp. massive late boost without the power to make up for it. you get the worst of both world. spec your turbo setup up to the capabilities of your engine and have a fast car.

Reaction score
If the engine lets go, which I won't argue, may happen, I've got a properly spec'd engine spare that I just need to assemble that's had £3k spent on the bottom end alone, so what I'm doing is hardly stupid :).

I have every gauge I need to keep an eye on the engine, afr, boost, water, oil pressure, oil temp, hand controller for injectors. Am I not allowed to see what the stock internals will take on a healthy engine?...

Anyway, besides the point of my car, theres quite a few cars of the sxoc running over 400bhp on stock internals with cams.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Everything I've done has been bolt on so far, I only need to order the injectors and fuel pressure regulator and the car is ready to go. The single Walbro pump may halt progress but that's a small issue as there's ways round that.