What's new

blow off valves?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i've been looking into blow off valves and was after something that will do the job but not sound too over the top (i want the atmospheric vent sound, but quite subtle). i was considering getting the bailey evo piston type valve from apex, as i find the ssqv fitted to my mates sti way too loud, but wondered if anyone else has it fitted and what your opinions were.

i would also have loved the sound made by fitting the pidgeon mod, but dont see any real benefit in bypassing or doing away with a standard component that is obviously there to do a job.

any help/experience appreciated, as you'll probably understand this is my first turbo so naturally, a dump valve will be my first (and probably cheapest) mod :)

2OOsxy

GFB Mach 1 - not overly loud, especially if you point the trumpet down and not up. Doesn't have the squeaky sound either, just the pshhhhtt release.

Reaction score
Country
Was your mates SSQV recircluated ? I wouldnt have thought a recirculated SSQV would be that loud...and from what ive heard on here the sound should be the pigeon flutter anyway ?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
oops:eek:, seems as though i might have worded the first post wrongly, im after peoples opinions on the bailey evo rather than the ssqv, as for the gfb mach1, they advertise it as the loudest in thier range, so i think its out.....

D

david

Hi dean
I done the pigeon mod last week had a hks ssqv and wanted the pigeon noise and according to this site its no harm at normal boost.Hks is back in the box in the shed.
Pigeon noise sounds savage....

M

Matt_S

I dont know what you boys are on about. Pigoen is like a swear word to me (just ask Nicely! ;) )
I run my SSQV recirced but quit tight on the spring preload. I get the flutter normally, but give it beans and it changes. Im actually ginna back the preload off as I think it needs to dump at a bit lower boost. ATM it seems to be like 1.2 bar and over :wack:

M

Matt_S

Oh and as per the original post, I ran my S14 with no DV. I dodnt see the point on the std sized turbo. On the bigger (and more expensive) unit I have now on the S15, I run one. Recirced. Just as nature intended ;)
No nasty overfuel between gear changes here ;)

Reaction score
Country
Problem is Matt that the HKS SSQV you buy now cant be adjusted, i beleive they removed the ability in the current version ?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
ok some interesting points there to consider:nod:

i think ill give the evo a go then (apex site has some pretty good reviews), as its the easiest to fit and the least costly if i dont like the results it can easily be reverted back to standard if needs be. thanks for the info and if required i can always post up my opinion on the kit once its fitted and up and running.:)

M

Matt_S

You should only fit a recirc. Unless you want to lose performance.

Jez. Buy a S/Hand one then :p

2OOsxy

ha ha I haven't lost any performance by having an atmo venting bov :D .... ;) but not a fan of the screachers, if it has to be atmo then I prefer the other styles...

M

Matt_S

Is there one type of SSQV for all cars with just different recirc kits ?
The easiest way to do it is use the OE piping that runs over the cam cover and an SSQV recirc adapter like I just bought.
I had this setup on the S14. In fact, I think I was the first to recirc one :)
Ditched it and sold it as I didnt see the point in runnign a std turbo and recircing. Theres no need.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
well the bailey valve and fitting kit arrived from apex the other day and the quality of the product is impressive. everything you need is included, including silicone hoses in blue, vacuum line, stainless hose clips and a polished reducer. instructions are pretty comprehensive so should only take about ten minutes to fit. cant wait to see what its like:)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
just to let people know i fitted this bailey valve today from apex and it sounds awesome. no real noticable difference in the way the car performs, but its such a satisfying sound and it feels faster - though i doubt it is at all:). at low revs you get some of this so called 'pidgeon' noise, but rev it a little and off it sounds. 10/10.

P

Paul D

i've done the mod with the standard bov and its spot on now. gear change is so smooth and it should be good for more than 1 bar now :D

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
bump this ttt, Im running a Blitz BOV and thinking on changing to an HKS SSQV but dont reeeeally want one to be fair, im after an atmos that sounds nice and loud, i was going to go for an ARC one but it seems kinda 'lame' imo..

Reaction score
greddy type s is what i have and if its adjusted correctly you will get the pigeon bov on low boost and on anyting over 0.5 you get the high pitched squeaky sound. No loss of power either