What's new

Boost Gauge Self Test? Or is it Kaputt?

Reaction score
Country
When i'm driving its just started going crazy!

The needle will be sat wherever it is normally, then drop straight to -7, then wind itself up at a constant rate right up to +1, then back to -7, where it will stay until i turn the engine off and back on!

Is this some random self test or is there a big problem somewhere? its such a smooth movement from the needle, its just weird!

My cars' seen better days :(

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Mine did exactly this for weeks... so instead of pulling it apart or trying to replace the sender/gauge I just installed a Defi 60mm boost gauge as replacement. Problem solved lol :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ah no mate lol... if it was the turbo giving out those readings you'd have no boost then +1 bar... insane haha!!! :D

It'll be the gauge I reckon - possibly the stock sender unit which transforms the vacuum hose readings into pressure measurements for the gauge but I'm not 100% sure.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
check the vacuum hose to the sender unit on the drivers inner wing for splits - if you need a sender unit or gauge i have both, but the long term solution (if you are tuning it) is an aftermarket gauge that reads higher than 1 bar :)

Reaction score
Country
cheers dean! i'l give it a check tomoro but i reckon by the sounds of things i need to get my hands on a Defi one!
do you reckon the sender unit could be faulty? and would i need any other bits to make a new gauge work? other than the gauge itself?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
As Dean says but another very good reason to upgrade is that Defi or pretty much any aftermarket decent boost gauge will be more accurate than the stock item ;)

The problem about Defi is it's not a cheap system... I've just searched their recent products on RHDJapan and both the latest Link Advance BF and CR boost gauges require the Advance Control Unit in order to operate. Basically the installation will look like so (still same as my older 'non-Advance' Defi products):

BOOST SENDER -> ADVANCE CONTROL UNIT -> BF/CR GAUGE

The reason why you have to have the control unit is because it controls all the warning level settings etc for the gauge. Once you have the control unit, adding further gauges like water temp, oil temp/pressure becomes very easy and like mine, I've been able to daisy chain from one gauge to another so this is another cool feature which removes lots of wires etc from the dash! :wack:

So in your case for starters you'll need the gauge (~£160):

http://www.rhdjapan.com/defi-link-advance-bf-turbo-gauge-boost-meter-62502?nflag=1

And the Advance Control Unit (~£100):

http://www.rhdjapan.com/defi-link-meter-advance-control-unit-57268?nflag=1

But there are also Defi boost gauges that don't require the control unit like the Racer series:

http://www.nengun.com/defi/racer-gauge-red

So you should be sorted either way!! :thumbs:

Last edited:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
any electronic aftermarket gauge will have its own sender unit so the original stuff can all be removed. defi are meant to be great, but it is a stepper motor gauge and a few of us are now running these motor meter gauges that look much the same, and work much the same but for about a third of the price :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
^^^ +1

If you're not willing to pay the price then I'd deffo say go for one like Dean has recommended. Defi was one of those JDM products I 'had to have' when I purchased the S15 lol so it's personal preference :)

Another reason why I went Defi (well the main reason really) was because they offer the Link Display Unit which means I can have a digital readout of oil and water temps within one single OLED display screen which is trick. I love it and saves me turning my head across trying to look at various analogue equivalents whilst out on track etc. Can't fault Defi for this system and the boost gauge is daisy chained into the display unit...

If there's another manufacturer that can do a display unit like Defi for half the price then fair play - I got JDM raped haha :D

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
That Link Display Unit you have is a really nice bit of kit. I was looking into this myself recently but the cost put me off. All I would want it for is oil pressure/temp with a separate boost gauge in the standard pod. Do you still need the Advance Control unit even with the Link Display Unit?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yes mate - you have to have control until with Link Display unit unfortunately. The one control unit operates anything that has the 'Link' name attached to it! :wack:

When I bought my Link Display Unit it moved to Link Control Unit II. Now if you get the latest Link Advance Display Unit you have to buy the Link Advance Control Unit. And with the Advance system you now get slick little remote control to operate the control unit. Defi says this means you can hide the control unit so it's out of sight (and doesn't have to be at arm's reach) but I think it's another way of adding on the pennies mwahaha :D

Edit: Imagine all the JDM kids out there shouting 'it's siiiiick maaaaan' ;)