What's new

Brake pads and disc's buying advice

Reaction score
Country
Hi Guys

I need to change my brake pads and discs, just wondered where's a good place to get some decent ones from. I've got standard Spec R brake setup I only use mine as a daily so don't need a race spec.

I saw the FAQ about brakes but the pads seems race orientated and no one mentions what discs are decent.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Country
I bought some pagid ones from "euro car parts", they are the same as the s14 discs & pads, seem ok to me..as a standard replacement anyway.

Reaction score
Country
^^ yeah i replaced my old S14a discs & pads with Pagid items and they did the job ok.

Some advice from personal experience with brakes in gerneral:
On my Daily R53 Cooper S, the brakes were absolutely terrible, which they all are from the factory. When service time came, i found a cheap deal from a shop on eBay for Mintex pads and drilled & grooved discs and i can tell you they have made a world of difference. Braking performance has improved 10 fold, and fading is not as apparent as before.

This is inline with what i have found with my K-Sport & Z32 brake setup on my S15, the grooved discs eliminate 'Galzing' of the pads, and keep them fresh and ready to bite the disc. So if you can find a good deal (compared with OEM style) i'd go for them every time, even on your daily.

Reaction score
Country
I saw the cross drilled discs with mintex pads on eBay but couldn't find any conclusive reviews of them around the net, seemed a bit cheap, so played it safe.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Well when searching for brakes, just use a nissan S14a as the option as they are the same.

Discs wise, DBA are amazing but pricey. Black diamond etc are good. Any branded disc will do especially for a stock caliper.
Personally I use cheap ones off eBay for £60 fronts and £50-60 rears. i get them with 6 grooves (you can get them dimpled or drilled for that price too.)

Pads are more important for fronts, I just bought some decent Carbon Lorraine compound pads for £80, they are awesome! Better then my previous hawk pads

Reaction score
Country
Ahhh awesome guys this was exactly what i was after, saw quite a few different brands and types but was never quite sure if having them grooved or dimpled made a difference. If i find a good deal ill post up in case anyone else is looking for some.

Thanks as always :)

Reaction score
Country
Anybody buy discs recently my car was off the road for a long time so buying new pads and discs all round.
What company/Brand are people running also is grooved discs recommded or just stock discs?

P

Phattony

I got DBA series 4000 t3 slotted rotors and project mu pads, squeals a little bit and theres more than average brake dust but it pulls up quick as ever