What's new

Buying My First Silvia - What's S15 Ownership Like?

H

Hitmo

Hey guys,

Looking to buy my first S15 Spec R soon, just wanted to know what common problems they have, and what I should look out for when buying one?

Also, what are they like for reliability, do many things go wrong which cost a bomb to fix? I understand modifications will be expensive, but I don't want to be replacing turbos and rebuilding engines! I've only really owned Honda's before, I'm hoping the Silvia will be similar :p

Cheers,
Hitmo

Reaction score
Country
What's S15 ownership like? EPIC haha!

Modifying isn't too expensive really. The upside is that there's plenty of stuff out there to buy, This is also bad money-wise lol.

As for reliability, it's a tried and tested engine that was in production since 1989. With the S15, you have the last variant of it. I personally haven't had any dramas with mine at all (but i've only had it for 5 months)

Check the useful links for buying guides : http://forum.s15oc.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=1

oh and welcome :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
The engines are pretty sweet and most of the mechanicals are straight from s14 and s14a models with little tweaks here and there. Rough ones are usually pretty easy to spot, look for rust, rough running, noises from the engine box and suspension and smoke from the exhaust and overall always buy on condition is what I say, normally if everything looks spot on then it should be, they aren't the most complicated cars in the world when you look at stuff around now :)

Reaction score
Country
Get a nice looked after example and you should be in for a great time. Look for S15's where the owner is meticulous and the car is clean and well presented. These should give you fewer headaches down the track.

I've had my S15 for about 1 year now and couldn't be happier. They're a little sluggish until you up the boost (maybe not compared to your Honda :)) but they are a relatively cheap car to mod. Exhaust, intercooler, air filter, fuel pump, boost controller (15psi) and tune should see you close to 200kw with a nice safe tune. They're a very light, nimble, reliable, fuel efficient car. Take one for a test drive and you'll see what all the fuss is about ;)

Reaction score
Country
make sure you get one rust free, or you'l be backtracking like me trying to get rid of it! hahaha. other than that you wont regret your decision! awesome cars! see my signature for how much i love & drive it! haha

Reaction score
Wife of s15 owner: Like being in perpetual labour!!!!

Ah well, I do go on about it all the time ;) I love it LOL.

H

Hitmo

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like the perfect car for me!

They're a little sluggish until you up the boost (maybe not compared to your Honda :))
I'm not so sure about this, I've raced a few S14a's and won! Although the S15 does have an extra 50hp right? I've heard the easiest and safest way to up the power is install a bleed valve? What exactly does that do, up the psi? I'm a noob when it comes to turbos :S

Reaction score
Country
Standard hp is 250, many of them will come with mods already done in Japan, it's actually quite difficult to get one completely stock, so keep an eye on this as it can save you loads if you going mod it. Mine came with a £500 boost controller, HKS air filter and Tein suspension. Cool.
In this state of tune I can keep up with my mates Evo 8 (365bhp) from 30-100 much to his unhappiness :)

Great car for sure.