What's new

Clutch advice needed (Spec R)

C

Controll3d

Few weeks ago my S15's clutch went "slightly" slipping. Couldn't hold speed uphills anymore.

Box still not out, bit problem with motivation and work etc. All bolts are off and shifter, but just need to pull it off.

Should i keep stock dual mass flywheel (if not badly damaged) and try to find uprated clutch kit or maybe go with driftworks lightweight flywheel and get non dual mass S15 clutch kit?

Car is my daily drive, well would be... Bit upped boost (for now) with Greddy Profec controller. Keeping dual mass comfort is not essential, but will solid fw setup stress box more? Don't want to be replacing clutch every summer, tho. :D

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I would keet the stock S15 dual mass flywheel and fit a S14 ACT heavy duty organic clutch kit.

Feels like the original clutch but bites very strongly. Perfect for mildly tuned daily drive, without spending silly money on a Super Coppermix.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
Get rid of it, it's 10 years old and most likely FUBAR. As long as you get a sprung clutch disc then you won't add stress onto the gearbox

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Then you risk vibrations and all sorts as members on here have reported. Super Coppermix is the way to go, if you have deep pockets.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
They are such nice clutches to use but the dual mass/ACT combo is genuinely not far off. My first S15 had a Super Soppermix and I wish I had removed it before selling it!

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
If you remove the dual mass flywheel you do introduce vibrations because it's no longer there to absorb them. It isn't damaging, I've run 2 single mass for 3 years and they both did exactly the same, but it does eliminate the problems associated with dual mass flywheels and allow you to shave lots of weight off the crank. I had dual mass with my first tune, but went to single when I went up to above 350bhp/ib. It's a trade off really, you just don't know how long a dual mass flywheel will last at that power but a single mass is just a piece of metal so can't go wrong ;)

C

Controll3d

Coppermix is no go. Bit too expensive and maybe bit overkill anyway. :D

Didn't know S14 clutch is compatible with s15 dual mass even that it's sprung? Cover aswell? I'd guess need to source release bearing separate then.
This kit same as s14 clutch but with right bearing?
http://www.driftworks.com/shop/exedy-organic-sports-clutch-nissan-silvia-s15-1999-2002-2-litre-sr20det.html

Causing vibration, so not any different with non dual mass setup like on S14 (or any car with solid flywheel)?

I don't care if it's ACT or Exedy or any other, as long as it will work properly and last more than one summer. :)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
S14 sprung clutch will fit mate. Release bearing and pilot bush are exactly the same between s14 and s15 ;)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The only difference that will cause you issues is the flywheel. S14 friction plates are sprung too, but it's not a bad thing. It's what I have and what I'd probably do again..

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, possibly. Apex performance sell a lightweight S15 solid fly which you could use with the ACT S14 clutch kit.

C

Controll3d

Sure Apex have those? Not on their site or didn't find anything on sxoc either.

DW (conversion) flywheel with S14 ACT HD Organic combo is tempting, but might be bit over my budget atm. :(

Edit:

I'd guess that flywheel really needs replacing. So, current options are for me:

Driftworks conversion flywheel + Exedy Organic
Driftworks conversion flywheel + ACT Heavy Duty Organic
Driftworks conversion flywheel + Carbonetic Blade

Exedy is cheapest option, but pretty much stock clutch. ACT and Carbonetic are about same price.
Might actually get Carbonetic. It's stock on local dealer.

Last edited:
C

Controll3d

Ended up ordering conversion flywheel and ACT HD Organic. Thanks for all the help! :)

Had hard time between ACT and Carbonetic, but ACT was so much cheaper on FRSport. Got crank rear seal and new (OEM) flywheel bolts with same order.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
I it's a driftworks flywheel on s15 box it just won't work. It's about time they removed s15 from the fitment list, it will fit your sr crank and the s15 box will go onto it but your input shaft will not locate...

C

Controll3d

How much did that set you back? How come you went with driftworks flywheel?
About 850e all total.

To get rid of dualmass flywheel. With my luck would be propably next place to break and surface isn't in good condition.

Just notice Apex do have flywheel for S15, but quite bit more expensive than driftworks have.

I it's a driftworks flywheel on s15 box it just won't work. It's about time they removed s15 from the fitment list, it will fit your sr crank and the s15 box will go onto it but your input shaft will not locate...
That doens't sound good. Is it with S13/S14 SR flywheel or one which is for 6spd?
It's this flywheel: http://www.driftworks.com/shop/driftworks-s15-sr20det-lightweight-chromoly-flywheel.html

Last edited:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
Looks right to me mate, appears they actually do do a s15 flywheel now, before they sold the s14 one as fits an s15 ;) losing dual mass does let more vibration creep through, I've had two single mass flywheels and clutches now and they both do the same but it's not the end of the world considering you won't break them :)