What's new

Craig's S15

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Oh, yeah it will Vinnie! It'll be back together by the weekend as long as the powder coaters and platers do my stuff in time! If the weathers crap I'll be doing Curborough in my Skoda instead anyway!! Haha! ;)

lol here we go again...:D
Haha! I know! I actually can't stop myself..

Reaction score
Other thing to try would be to tint the fog lights black,u can get smoke tint film would make them less noticable and you can still remove the film after if you want to sell them or don't like them. Just until you manage to find a set of blanking plates,just an idea
I made my blanking plates out of the perspex from my old numberplates, sprayed them black and covered them in black mesh, fixed using the spotlight mounting holes so no cutting or damage. cheap and easy.. photos on my members rides thread..

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I took it round last time I was there and it was alright apart from the Ditchfinder tyres but I'll have some Conti's on by then! :)

K

kieran@silverback

i had the subframe off mine this week end, just used an engine support ontop then dropped the frame away, but means leaving the bonnet open, which is ok if its garaged lol and 888 all the way, think they will be my next investment lol

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
this is good news mate, may as well go the whole hog :)
stick the front on axle stands, then stack bricks or blocks with a piece of wood and a bit of carpet or an old towel on top until it just touches the bottom of the sump. then when you undo the 4 subframe nuts and it lowers down it will put the full weight of the engine on the block and the chassis is still supported by the stands.... you gonna do engine mounts while your'e there? those apex street ones did a fair job and didn't add anything nasty :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I havent got an engine support/crane so I'll use Dean's method! I was just concerned the sump couldn't take the weight of the engine.

Yeah, I have also got the Apex 'street' mounts. I'm not one to start roumers but the 'street' gearbox mount looks and feels identical to the 'race' one I also have.. And on Hardrace's site, they only list one type of mount.. :rolleyes:

Anyway, they will be going on too! Does the whole PAS system come off with the subframe? It looks as if it will but I couldn't see it too well on my drive.
Just need to get a new pair of track rod ends (rude not to) and already have a pair of Moog balljoints to go in the lower arms, along with the Energy lower arm bushes. It's going to be a busy day tomorrow, hope it's not rubbish weather again!!

:)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
well the mounts dont give any of the vibrations etc that people describe with the apex race mounts at all so they must be a softer compound....forgot about the steering rack mate, i used some wire to tie it up to the joint on the steering column on one end and the turbo elbow on the other. that way when you lower the subframe off the rack stays hanging there supported :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cool, I'll fit the new mounts then and see how they feel. Do you think they make a noticable difference? I guess the gearbox one is the best as it'll stop the gearbox tramping around too!

I wanted to take the rack out and give it a clean up as theres a bit of fluid seepage. Did you see how to disconnect it so it can be removed? I guess it's just the fluid pipes and the steering input.. I've also got the Energy steering rack bushes but have no clue where they go!? :)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
the mounts haven't got a good testing yet, but they will soon. the engine seemed not to rock on and off throttle though when doing it by hand on the pulley... the rack should be easily removable by the two threaded hose connections on the back of it and then it's just one bolt on the column joint ;)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Nice one, I'll drop it out with the subframe then. Did you fit the Energy poly steering rack bushes too?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
no mate, i had some hardrace ones from a group buy, got them when the street mounts first came out and they sat in the cupboard for over a year until i did the refurb... they fit as the old ones fit so you'll figure it out easily ;)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I haven't seen where the originals mount.. I wasn't sure if it was on the actual rack or part of the column. I guess it must be the rack though but will have a good look tomorrow if the weather is looking a bit better! :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Right, it's been way to long since this was updated and I have done a lot of work recently too.

I removed the front subframe and suspension to refurbish and polybush it to the same standard as the rear. I fitted Energy Suspension bushes to the front lower control arms and power steering rack. New MOOG ball joints were fitted to the front lower arms as a matter of course while they were off the car, along with new track rod ends, Whiteline Front ARB and Hardrace adjustable bushed tension rods (bodycoloured, of course!), so now all 4 wheels are independantly castor, camber and toe adjustable. I then took the car back to A-Line to have the rear alignment checked and the front set up. As on the rear end, all of the nuts/bolts/washers were replated too.

I had some minor brake judder at high speed so had the front disks skimmed on the car by PumaBuild in Birmingham. Skimming the disks on the car is the best way to do it as it removes any minute discrepency from the hub too. It cost a whopping £100 but made a world of difference - brakes are now smooth as silk.

These K-Sport brakes really are a very good option and by for the best value for money option available.

Oh - and I FINALLY fitted my cooling panel too! :)

Here's the bit everybody likes - the pictures. Appologies for the quality, they are all taken on my phone.

And to celebrate, we went on a road-trip to Wales.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Wouldn't expect any less! This car is just fully awesome man,glad you are driving enjoying it!
How do you find the energy bushes btw are they quite harsh on the road or do they cope well with our crap surfaces?

Seal

Reaction score
Country
Truly amazing, and trust me i saw many S15 but not like this one... well done mate ;)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Wouldn't expect any less! This car is just fully awesome man,glad you are driving enjoying it!
How do you find the energy bushes btw are they quite harsh on the road or do they cope well with our crap surfaces?
Haha! Thanks Chris!

The bushes are fine mate. Perfect infact. My coilovers are quite firm though but I like them like that.

I don't think you would notice any difference in ride by changing the bushes alone. If you get some, go for the black ones like I did as they are impregnated with graphite (red ones aren't) so should never squeak. :)

Truly amazing, and trust me i saw many S15 but not like this one... well done mate ;)
Thank you Sylvain, very kind of you! :)

Mike

Reaction score
Country
If you had advertised this car at 20K I would still say it was a bargain. Best example there is in my eyes, I should of bought it! ;)

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
bet it handles like its on rails now, great work as always :) and Wow, you let it get that near a puddle! your slipping Craig ;)