What's new

folding mirrors when locking the car

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
mate you are a credit to the club!!!:)
i had every intention of following up on this after originally posting it up but my method would of been far less comprehensive and wouldnt of incorporated any of the other functions you are capable of putting in - thats if i could get it to work at all lol. after hearing what you're able to do with it i must admit i havent even tried, my idea just seemed a bit clumsy in comparison :rotfl:. it really does sound like you are going to nail this and as i said before, i think it's something i'd imagine a lot of people would pay thier good money for - i happily will:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Reaction score
Fairplay to ye for the effort that’s going into this.
From reading it I just taught of something, Not really going to effect are oz friends but more the colder climate countries.
Ireland, England etc… In the winter when you lock the car at night and get up the following day to find it frozen.
If you unlock the card with the mirrors in they will be frozen in.
And i`d be afraid of burning out the motor when its trying to open them out.
Im sure the motor has a torque limit but to many times will damage it, that or it could ring the drive. Just needs a cut off switch of some sort, so during the winter the folding option can be disabled, that’s just my thinking is all.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
there will be jumpers on the control box to enable/disable required features. If you wanted, you could put in a remote switch so you didn't have to access the control box all the time.

I have also got the infomation for the folding circuit now. :)

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
still playing with this. I haven't forgotten. As I said, I am very busy at the moment.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
my situation hasn't changed at the moment. I am still very busy, but hoping to make some progress on it on thursday.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Not at this stage. I haven't had any time to work on the car. I would like to get to the garage on Thursday to do a few things and this is definately on the list.

I would like to appologise to all that are waiting for this. Unfortunately, my spare time these days is nearly non existant. I still plan on trying to complete it though.

A

Al3c

First of all, Meddler, I hope you don't mind but I'm looking into doing something similar myself and have started building the circuit and testing the PIC.
I don't wana be stepping on anyone's toes here so am just doing this for myself and if its successful, and Meddler doesn't mind, I will put all the needed info on here to do it yourself.

So, started designing the circuit on the weekend and have in mind what is needed. First thing to do was to make the regulated circuit that everything will run off.

All of this turned up an hour ago so put it together quickly to test...

This circuit simply regulates the incoming supply (12-15v), first to 12v and then 5v. The 12v is used as a constant source for later on and the 5v is needed for the control side (PIC/Transistors/TRIACS...etc).

The PIC that will be used, currently on a dev. board...

What I have in mind to control:

• Automatically open/close mirrors - This is not done on a timed basis but will monitor the back EMF of both mirror motors to stop them (basically, as soon as the mirror stops the motor stalls and resets the circuit). So this should reduce the risk of burning the motors out. There will be a timeout in their (just in case).

• Automatically dip the mirrors when put into reverse and then return to their original position when done - If you do not want this feature, then don't wire in the reverse sensor (simple).

• Trigger the rear wiper when the car is put into reverse if the front wipers are on - again, if you dont want this feature then dont wire in the signal for the front wiper.
The program for all the above is near enough finished. The next thing I need to do is make the circuit that will take all the required input signals and the circuit that sets the outputs. Hopefully I will have this done in the next few weeks.

Any suggestions don't hesitate to mention.

Al

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i'm sure meddler wont be offended mate, anyone that can contribute is a big help i'm sure :) i originally started the thread i think, but once i found out what other guys were capable of with circuit controllers etc i dropped my idea altogether lol

S

S15 SILVIA

Fair play mate, great work! How much do you estimate the gizmo to cost, and would you be able to do a batch for a few members, sure you could sell a few!?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I actually have a design completed and just haven't had time to build the protype. I will get to finish mine, but family and work have got in the way :(

@Al3c: if you wish to build them and put the design up on the forums, go right ahead.

A

Al3c

I actually have a design completed and just haven't had time to build the protype. I will get to finish mine, but family and work have got in the way :(

@Al3c: if you wish to build them and put the design up on the forums, go right ahead.
Cheers mate. :thumbs:

Just wanted to check that it was ok.

Fair play mate, great work! How much do you estimate the gizmo to cost, and would you be able to do a batch for a few members, sure you could sell a few!?
Cost wise, its hard to tell at the moment as its all being done as a prototype. The final version will be done on a proper PCB board. If you are to make it up as I am at the moment you are probably looking around £5 to £10. Obviously if you were to buy in the PIC's in bulk the cost would drop as this is the most expensive part.

As for selling them...I would be happy to make up a batch and sell them for the cost of the parts (plus postage). Not doing this to make any money so would be happy to do it this way.

A

Al3c

any news?
Yep, :nod:

Prototype for the folding mirror's finished/tested, a few niggles to work out but does what was asked of it.

2nd version of the circuit design includes the bits needed for the reverse -> mirror dip and rear wiper control.

Literally 1 hour ago I placed an order for all the components for this 2nd version circuit along with an order for custom PCB board(s). :thumbs: Should have a few left over when I'm done for you guys.

Also, managed to get a 'few' free PIC's from Microchip. So, I'm testing the ones I have to find the best suited to this application vs cost. :)

So far it looks like the PIC16F818 would be the best suited Micro controller as it has 4 available analog inputs that I am using to monitor the EMF of the mirror's folding motor.

Just to let you know that I'm off to Hungary at the end of this month for a few weeks with work. Will try my hardest to get the circuit built before I go and in the car for testing. As soon as I have something, you guys will be the first to know.

Al

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Wow, leccy stuff really messes with my head but I definatly like the sound of what you're doing so will have my name down for one when they are done :)