What's new

Front Caliper Upgrade

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Well, after having replaced the seals on the front calipers due to them sticking quite badly, they are threatening to stick again :rolleyes:, although rarely and just a tad as apposed to locked on.

As a result i'm thinking of changing them, what are my options and prices? I've done a search and cant seem to find any info.

Cheers :)

Reaction score
Country
Very rich - 6pot from endless/project u tee hee

Rich - Brembos from R32/33 or with slight modifications R34/Z33

Standard - Any calipers from Z32/R33/R34 turbo models. Anyone has any idea which of these have the biggest rotors?

I was reading it on one of the forums, i think a guy said r33 can fit 294mm whereas r34 is 310mm.

The 4 pots on the Z32/r33/r34 can fit larger rotors and are lighter than the ones on the s15 I believe.

Reaction score
endless all the way :) I tried fitting mine yesterday....

If your not gonna track it then maybe a bit overkill really. Theres a kit in japan that uses a larger disk with a spacer wicch would do the job? Also theres always the brembo route?

Last edited:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I tried looking for some Project Mu calipers, but couldnt find prices.

slammedmind - Where you get those from, how much? They 6 pots? I'd be happy with 4 pots me thinks as the power of the stock caliper is enough, just dont want to be taking them apart every couple of thouw

Also, i have 310mm front discs with brackets, so would like to keep those if i could to try keep costs down.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
R32GTR/R33GTS callipers allow slightly bigger discs. I've got these and picked them up for around ?100 off GTROC.

On my 345s, they sit further out, but the Aston pads compensate for that.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
So if i was to use say the R32GTR caliper, what size disc's do that take? 300 ish say, so i couldnt used the bracket i currently use? Also will they not suffer from the same sticking issues i had with mine?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
They'll bolt straight onto your existing bracket. If you increase the disc size, you'll need to change the bracket regardless...

Can't guarantee. Secondhand callipers come with that risk. Sounds like the internal wall of your pistons may have been damaged. :( If they aren't totally clean and smooth, sticking will occur.

P

Paul2x

GTR brembo's are more than enough brake for the 15' and will fit most wheels. Thats why u see them on 80% of all Jap track 15's...b/c their awsome and reasonably priced for what u get.

Projects and Endless are more for bling and u run into wheel fitment issues as well...but they do look hot..... I'd go Project between the two brands or even Brembo BBk,

If you don't want to spend the $$ for the above set-ups copy Nicely's set-up best budget set-up IMO.

S

sillbeers15

Front: AP Racing 330mm disc + 4 pot

Rear: Z32 294mm disc + 2pot

Remember to balance the front/back brake bias when selecting brakes upgrade!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
What disc does the R33 2pot rear take? Anyone know? Is it the same as the Z32 because R33 2pot rear is easier to source than z32s here.

Reaction score
a friend of mine in hong kong came across them for me, I got them at the right price so why not! I wasnt that happy with the s15 brakes as standard to be honest, i tried performace fluids, master cylinder brace and a couple of sets of pads for high speed use i felt they didnt cut it.

S

sillbeers15

Actually the stock S15 brakes aren't too bad for a stock 250bhp car weighing 1240kg.

I like the concept of Nissan selling their S15 without:
1. Brembo brakes.
2. Recaro seats.
3. Front mounted intercooler.
4. 18" rims
and keeping the price afforadable (lower than a EVO w. the above items)....cause we can have our own choice of upgraded parts!

To upgrade the brakes of any car...one must consider and calculate the static and dynamic load of the brakes before and after upgrade to main the front to back brake bias.....unless you delibrate want to alter it from the original design.

Some simple rules to keep the front / back bias unchanged is to:
1. Increase the front disc diameter as much as the increase in rear disc diameter. So if front disc diameter is changed from 280mm to 330mm (up by 50mm) same should go for the rears from 250mm to 300mm.
2. Increase and maintain the brake pad size ratio (refering to caliper upgrade) of the front and back brakes (the car does not feel the number of pots but only the overall size of the brake pads as these are the only contact area that matters during braking!).
3. Upgrade the brake pump is the brake padel feel is too woody.

Usually it is a good idea to look for brake parts from Skyline and 300zx as these parts are already commonly available as new and used and these models are heavier than the S15 by 300kg to 400kg plus their stock power is no lower than the S15.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I have a rear brake setup from an R33 to go on, and 310mm disc's up front, so i will have a good balance once the rears are on, just looking for a solution to my sticking caliper.

Nicely, the pistons were all cleaned when i took them out, with no marks on them :no:, could there be a mark on the inside of the caliper that i didnt see? Although this would cause a mark on the piston too..... Also, are the R32/33 calipers a straight swap?

Anyone know the dimesions on the calipers? Mounting centres etc?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I'd expect a sticking issue to be caused by marking on the pots rather than their seats in the callipers.

R32GTR/R33GTS fronts (like mine, not the Brembos) are straight fit, I believe :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The Brembos came in on the R33 (GTR?). Not sure if they're a direct fit or not. Even if they are, the price difference is considerable, for very little difference in ability.

Reaction score
Country
The R32/R33 GTR brembos are straight fit. Only the R34/Z33 brembos need to redrill the holes

Hmm I thought the brembos can accomodate larger rotors than the calipers found in the r32 gtr? no?

Last edited:
S

sillbeers15

The R32, R33, Z32 calipers (front & back) are straight fit onto 5 lug silvias S14 and S15. The R34 range uses bigger bolts by one size. Not too sure about the Z33s...but they sure wouldn't fit.