What's new

HOW TO: Strip down an S15 Headlight!

Reaction score
Country
The method I used here caused no clips to snap, no plastics to melt, and generally, no damage AT ALL to the headlight unit. :)

First, preheat oven to 90'c and arrange the shelves so that you can squeeze your headlight in. I used tin foil to prevent tray imprints on my headlight, and also to prevent direct metal contact, and meltage! I did mine like so:

Whilst this is happening, ensure you remove the wiring loom from the rear (it all unclips pretty simply), as a melted wiring loom would be a bad start to the day. Also, around the back of the unit are 5 small screws holding the lens to the big black housing. Remove them!

Once oven is up to temp, slot the headlight in, ensuring that it is not touching any sides, and preferably lense upwards. This prevents any chance of anything staining the lense when it gets hot. (Yes it was a tight fit in my oven, but worked!):

Now, make yourself a nice Yorkshire Tea and wait for 10 minutes.

Once your ten minutes are up, the headlight unit itself will feel pretty warm. But not too hot to hold. (Just make sure you dont touch any metal bolts with your hands... Also the projector part of the unit is solid metal.. so take care!

You can then proceed to find a small gap to stick a blunt knife into and pry yourself a finger grab:

Once you've got a bit of a crack appearing, then you need to apply some brute force as the glue is out of reach of the knife. You really do have to get two hands on it and pull like mad. I started with the full beam side as this was the easiest to get a hold of:

Keep on pulling and it will peel away as the plastic is still soft. (the black plastic will be a lot softer than the lens. use that to your advantage.

And hey, Voila! One times, split headlight:

The remainder is pretty simple to take apart using the variety of 8mm bolts and screws holding stuff in place.
The projector lamp and full beam however need to be fully unscrewed using them 4 massive heads on the back of the unit. Once they're fully undone, it'll just fall out.

Fully disassembled:

Enjoy!

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Cool, always wanted to do this so I can get to the screen from inside, as this is a good way to get the yellow tint out from sun damage. Never had the balls to do, but seeing that you've do it ok I "might" give it a go.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Awesome work.

Reaction score
Country
good on ya, a lot of us have been waiting for someone to do it first as we dont want to wreck out lights

Reaction score
Country
Haha no problem guys :) I just so happened to have a spare headlight so it was all good :)

Useful Links section? :p

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Do you want a sticker too!? :p

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
good work mate, tried this last year using a heat gun, did not go to well. :no: May give it another go. Only problem is 90'c is lower than 1/4 of a gas mark :( which could make things intersting.

Reaction score
Country
good work mate, tried this last year using a heat gun, did not go to well. :no: May give it another go. Only problem is 90'c is lower than 1/4 of a gas mark :( which could make things intersting.
You could maybe put the temperature up a bit, and take it out sooner.. but thats your decision and trial and error to test haha

Reaction score
Country
With Easter week off I know what I'll be doing! Is there a how to for removing the front bumper?
Doubt it mate.
Its a piece of cake though. You've got the 5 fastening holes on the top between the lights, remove any clips in them. get underneath and remove the splash tray and arch liners from the bumper if you've got them fitted. Then theres two more fastenings from each arch. Aim the wheel inwards so you can get inside the arch, and remove the clip/bolt right at the edge of the bumper where it fastens to the fender, and then theres a really awkward one under the light, which requires patience. repeat for the other side. i'm fed up of undo'ing them now though, so my bumper is held on entirely with cable ties. and it holds well! :D

Reaction score
Country
In bits cleaned inside now for the rebuild and out side! Found a little hidden jem of a side light being added to the light, fitted by drilling a hole the size of the bulb and then siliconing it in place! REMOVED! Hole needs filling to keep the seal!

Reaction score
Country
Ok done, misses wasn't happy about using the oven and the fact that i'd not done my chiors for when she got home! But looking much better, "brass o" helped masivly on the outside, looks much better!

Typical just as iv finished putting the bumper Back on the new bulbs turn up!!