What's new

In the beginning...etc etc

JackPilk

Reaction score
Country
It is from my homework the samd housing and it's the circlips inside that are prone to failing. Well worth getting some good gearbox oil whilst you are doing the clutch :)

Reaction score
Country
yeah I will be doing a full fluid change on everything over the winter. Just done some reading about lightweight flywheels and not to sure for a weekend car it might ruin the driveability of it. I would like to get rid of teh dual mass as the get older they become unbalanced and you get that horrible judder when you pull away

JackPilk

Reaction score
Country
I had a lightened flywheel put on when I replaced the last clutch on my S14 and I really wish I kept the OEM flywheel on, it does ruin the drive definetely.

Reaction score
Country
do you know anywhere that sells a solid fly for the S15 then? I'll be honest I will have a look now and do some leg work haha

JackPilk

Reaction score
Country
I think that Driftworks one I posted earlier in that link is as close as it gets. There maybe other ones out there but I haven't looked yet.

Reaction score
Country
I may just save the agro and buy that exedy hyper single and be done with it. No doubt in a few years i will have a power itch that will need scratching :)

JackPilk

Reaction score
Country
Fair enough!

I'l be going straight for 3A again! Past that power is starts getting expensive.

Reaction score
Country
So after using the Silvia for 4 days on the trot for the daily commute, it seems that she no longer wants to work. I left work and the water temp got up to normal (halfway) before id even left plant, a distance of about 1/2 mile poodling over speed humps. I thought it strange but didn't think much of it. Drove about 5 miles then got onto the Dartford bridge when this happened:

Oh bother I thought- fortunately the temp returned to normal but then rose again till the same point for maybe 10-15 seconds then dropped. I thought at first it might be a sticking thermostat but upon inspection when i safely got home, the rad was pretty much empty, it took 2.5 litres of water and I still donTt think it was full! I also noticed that i had very little hot air which also told me id lost water. Underneath I could see coolant dripping off the engine tray underneath so when the car goes in for an alignment I will look underneath. Have no idea where its coming from could be a hole in the rad or a split pipe from where it was sitting for a year doing sweet FA.

I've seen a full 12 silicone hose kit for £80 so may get that or be on the market for a second hand rad on here as i dont really nead a mishimoto rad for the road.

THEN after swapping to the fezza to return back to my own house in Essex I got home and thought I'd sought some bits out to swap the centre console so pulled out my new radio and the carbon surround, thought whilst I'm here I'll get my fogs lights sorted as I need to make brackets up because the mounting bits on my aero bumper have been cut off, I then discovered this:

I bought these off a guy on here ages ago but didn't check them when they arrived (stupidly) but I'm sure they were not sent broken so that's a gold star for Royal Mail. I cant remember off the top of my head what side it is but if anyone has the Nissan part numbers for these or an odd one/set laying around please let me know.

on the plus side the other one is ok

so tonight I will be fitting my carbon surrounds and also the same but newer working head unit as my old one is playing up :( the yashio bits I've ordered also wont be here till early November but hey ho

**dont worry about nissan part numbers, looking online from Nissan catalog they are 160 quid each so will be looking second hand**

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
So on Saturday I took the S15 to get the wheels aligned at STS in Rochester. They have a hunter laser alignment machine and its the dogs goolies. However I wasnt quite prepared for how far out the wheels were- 16mm on the front and 18mm on the back!

This was just the rears but clear how the impact had affected everything.

My new friend Scott getting everything sorted...sort of

In the end they ran out of adjustment on the standard setup for the rear, the front ended up being 0.3 degs out on the camber on the right front but the toe angle on the rears was out by 2.5mm- that was the closest they could get. On the plus side they only charged £45 instead of the £85 it would have been to adjust everything but because they couldnt get it perfect they reduced the price :) I am planning on buying fully adjustable arms in the future so the extra adjustment will be useful. On the plus side it drives a million times better than when it went in lol. Just shows that even when a car is jigged straight they are never 100% perfect, something is slightly bent minutely but its something I will have to accept I Guess.

Also found this whilst we were under the car:

It looks as though the gearbox to prop seal is leaking but its only very slight as I've never noticed any oil on the driveway, is this a big job anyone know? price?

On a happier note I swapped out my centre console for some nice Carbon Fibre bits

The fitment isn't quite how i would like so will need to make some minor adjustments but overall I'm happy with how it looks.

Also started to rebuild my wheels- the lips still have wax on them so look dull but they still look amazing :)

and I have purchased some equipment for the soon to be done gearbox and diff oil change

Overall things are on the up

Reaction score
Country
So this weekend was a very busy and productive one, first off I now have the benifit of having my own house with a garage so the 15 has had a dry place to stay for the last month and also a dry place for me to work in :) so after the recent overheating issues it was time for a strip down to find the cause. i had planned on doing this once the tax ran out in december to put on all my goodies but best laid plans and all that. So here she is in her new home in the middle of dissection (note the length of 2x2 because on AN axle stand the hood support is too long... and note only one stand because I cant get down the passenger side :()

so anyway undertray and exhaust off (turbo elbow was a complete PITA due to the heat shield which i has to hammer the **** out of as i couldnt get to all the studs) and i was greeted with this:

The water feed/return pipe was leaking from somewhere which is good because I'd found the problem but bad as it meant turbo and manifold had to come off and the fear of sheering a stud was becoming and ever more real possibility. WD40 my new best friend.

Anyway after much knuckle graising, swearing, cups of coffee and more swearing- she was free

problem solved

So now with the coolant drained I have decided to buy silicone hoses and obviously the required gasket sets braided turbo lines. And since I was in an enthusiastic mood i also stripped off the stock intercooler and pipe work to make way for my Apexi type 2

Will get around to mounting that next weekend as will be working on the house during the week. I am also going to replace the vacuum hoses with silicone pipe and fit my fog lights and fit mesh to my aero bumper. so here is how she stands at the moment

roll on pay day :D

Reaction score
Country
So, pay day arrived at the end of the month and I began work on the Silvia once more. I was waiting for gaskets and braided hoses to arrive so I made a start fitting my Apexi type 2 FMIC. For those of you who don't know this kit follows the existing intercooler pipe work with an extension bit to allow for the central FMIC. Even though the pipes are longer there is no cutting what so ever required and it fitted like a dream. Appologies for the shoddy photos, my flash is broken and it was getting dark and my head torch isn't much use for this as it turns out :)

I then had a mad rush of ricer blood to the head and decided to bling the core up a bit

How JDM do I feel :)

Some other little bits I did that were annoying me, firstly blacking the side grills on my bumper as they were white when I got the car and didn't look right. I also cut some black mesh for the front grill to protect the core and to make the front a bit more complete

and with bumper on:

I realise you cant see the Ricer-ness of my core with the mesh so may take it out again. I need to trim the bumper as it fails on the core- maybe an inch or so

Also the previous bumper owner had cut the mounts out for the fog lights presumably to fit a front mount so I made these at work- unfortunately there is not a lot left of the bumper to mount it to so i may have the fogs sitting further forward then use the mesh to fill around it- as of yet undecided on this

My Yashio interior bits turned up during the week so that jogged me into dry run this so i can work out where everything needs to go

its a 4 in one gauge that does water temp, oil pressure,oil temp and volts looks like a nice piece of kit- need to get an oil filter relocation kit too because when working on the car I realised its bitch to get to.

Reaction score
Country
So this weekend these turned up:

manifold gasket and also both rocker cover gaskets for when I paint the cover :D

now I have all the bits it was time to assemble

braided lines were also on with new copper washers.

and this is how she looks now:

I have one more water feed/return pip to plumb into the block but then the repair is complete.

One thing I am very annoyed about and its my own fault is that I took the easy route (aka no no option) and bought toyo sport(ebay) downpipe and turbo elbow, the welds looked good and there was no splatter etc inside and looked good quality...the fitment however left much to be desired. Basically with everything connected the downpipe is butted up against the floor pan and the support bracket is about an inch short of where it is on the car. even with me pulling on the exhaust there is very little movement. I'm worried that by driving it something will definitely crack (down pipe or elbow). So my short term plan is to get some stainless plate machined to make a spacer between the elbow and downpipe till I have funds to buy a branded pipe. I'm hoping the elbow is ok but if not will have to invest in a Tomei one. A relatively inexpensive blunder at £90 but on something I know I shouldn't have done :( hopefully they will last till I get it mapped at least.

Reaction score
Country
I had an s14 elbow and downpipe and they did the exact same ended up getting a blitz down pipe and fitted bang on. Builds looking good pal be nice to see u back at shows soon.

Reaction score
Country
Cheers, would like to get it back running before the new year so I can have a bit of a shakedown before the tax runs out

Reaction score
Country
Quite abit of grit on the road now don't think mine will be out till next year

Reaction score
Country
Another glorious day of sunshine today has spurned me on to add to the build thread as a lot has happened with my car since the last update. Firstly I had some of these delivered which i then took to a friends who is fitting them to my refurbed wheels :)

They're Pirelli Pzero Rossos from camskills, worked out to £100 a corner with postage which i though was excellent as the reviews i read said these were a very good tyre so time will tell.

A lot has also been happening in the engine bay- mainly finishing off loose ends, but since my last update quite a lot has actually occured :)
-carbon cannister delete
-fitted front mount
-fitted new boost gauge and wiring
-fitted water temp gauge
-fitted gizzmo EBC
-trimmed front bumper and fitted new grill
-replaced boost hoses with red silicon hose
-BOV delete for that turbo chatter-ness BRRAAAAAPPPP-chu-chu-chu-chu :D

so here are a few snaps as of yesterday afternoon :)

the drivers side isnt actually attached which is why the fitment looks poo lol

For future reference for anyone reading this, the best place to run your cables for anything is through the HUGE rubber grommet located in the Drivers side wheel arch, I stumbled across this by chance but it is very flexible and quite thin which allows you to get cables with plugs on them through no bother :)

lots of lovely boostness :)

Things I hope to get done by the weekend: run wires for oil temp and pressure (wont fit the sandwich plate as haven't got all the bits i need for filter relocation yet), fit the gauge in the centre air vent, top up power steering fluid, coolant flush/change, trim and fit slam panel and rewire the horns as took them off when i put on the front mount and havent re-attached them.

So lots gone on and a few steps closer to having her running and reliable before Japfest- I just hope i have no leaks from the water lines to the turbo.

I used a few of the useful links on this forum which turned out to be very useful (funny that) boost gauge install was a big help as was a thread on installing a boost controller and setting a 'safe' map on it if you cant get to do it on the road for setting duty and cycle, so thumbs up and a thanks to everyone who made these! also Nicely's guide on BOV delete/pigeon mod

Last edited:

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Good work. Such a great spot for the gizzmo that eh? Did you ever get your Downpipe and elbow sorted? I have an old jperformance s14 Downpipe and s14 japspeed elbow I'm planning on fitting. Wondering what my chances are... Loving the look of yours especially with that FMIC. Does it alter the sound nicely? I pretty much want to do all of those things! Doh so much for staying completely standard... But at least it's sensible modding. :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
yeah fits perfectly, might blank over it so it looks like it is supposed to be there and not just stuck in a hole lol. It will fit but its flush with the the bottom of the car, I think its the down pipe that's the issue, I'm just hoping it doesn't put too much stress on the manifold or turbo. I will be replacing with a Tomei elbow and HKS pipe once i have the cash. As for the sound I haven't run the car since the water leak so have no idea what it sounds like!