What's new

knock sound just started..

Reaction score
Country
after trying to listen closely it sounded like it may be from the head but ive had vct rattle in my old car and doesn't sound like that. i went to test for rod movement today by turning the engine over but the crank pulley bolt is huge didn't have a socket big enough

Reaction score
Country
tried it made no difference it does sound like its the valves or something. Just done an oil change 2 days ago but it was doing it prior to that should i try a thicker oil, if that doesnt work what needs replacing

Reaction score
Thicker oil, no. The oil galleries on a SR are small anyway so you will be slowing the oil flow up into the rocker gear especially on start up. I would get a professional opinion as I said it could be a big end bearing..

Reaction score
Country
Take the plug off the VCT solenoid and see if that quietens it..
problem with that trick is that it only works 20% of the time, if your engine is over 100ks i would look at replacing the control solenoid as its just a good idea. I had a noise coming from my engine, and i at first tried the unplug and though that due to this making no difference the solenoid and cam gear were fine, bleed the lifters 3 times, and checked all the valve train over for abnormal wear signs.... months later just brought a new solenoid as a last resort out of frustration and what do you know... fixed

Reaction score
Country
have you tried the old fashioned trick where you get a length of garden hose, put one end into your ear (put a plug in the other) and move the hose around the engine to define exactly where the noise is coming from?

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
It does sound like the deep knock of bottom end. Didn't you have the rocker off recently? Also what oil and how much did you use?

Reaction score
have you tried the old fashioned trick where you get a length of garden hose, put one end into your ear (put a plug in the other) and move the hose around the engine to define exactly where the noise is coming from?
I use a long screw driver and put my ear to that...works well isolating engine noises..

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
A set of bug end bearings is less than a ton over here so id just get a set n change them. Easily done in a few hours. On a civic anyway.