What's new

Low beam bulb removal

subzero

Reaction score
Low beam bulb removal (pt 2 where to get hid bulb?)

how the hell do you remove this cover without breaking it ...

got the full beam bulb out no bother , this one turns fine but dosent pop out, is there a nack to it ??

Last edited:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
It should be fastened with a screw on the backside edge. But if it turns that would have already been removed.

I can't remember if it was threaded or not. But I think there was a rubber seal on it which could cause it to be abit sticky.

subzero

Reaction score
got it out , just so hard to get at it with the intercooler and induction kit.

didnt realise you'd need a degree in electronics to remove a bulb :)

this is the bulb i removed, should be fun at the motor factors try to get one of these. theres 4 wires in it :confused:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
You must have some kind of HID kit fitted do you? I dont have a hole in the cover for my lights :no:

subzero

Reaction score
Yup HID kit fitted , where the hell am i gonna get replacment bulbs ... just tried a motor factors there and they rang three different crowds but no joy.

looks like a h1 connection but the bulb is wired direct.

???????

Reaction score
Country
you would not get hid kit replacement bulb in local motor factors.
i would try ebay....

Are you sure it's the bulbs?????? as they are gas they should never blow.

i would try swap the other good bulb into the bad light fitting see if it works. if your bulb still does not work it would be your balast thats blown.

balast are a more common fault then the hid bulbs.

Also if your gonna change the bulb do it in pairs to make sure the colour are the same. or you will look stupid with different colour lights.

D

derwinmd

i recently bought an s15 and 1 of the bulbs are a different colour. im havin no luck finding them even tried nissan. all i know is that there 10000k hid bulbs. there is a website called visionbulbs.com where you might find them. if you know the size of the bulb could you send it to me so as i can get a set myself... Thanks...

subzero

Reaction score
@raystang -will try that ....

it was unusal that the right hand side dim and full went together . and now im having the prob with the other side discussed b4 on this forum...

when you change from dim to fulls the dims go off, and when you turn your fulls off again , your left temperaly blind as the dims need to warm as it were. dangerousssss

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
@raystang -will try that ....

it was unusal that the right hand side dim and full went together . and now im having the prob with the other side discussed b4 on this forum...

when you change from dim to fulls the dims go off, and when you turn your fulls off again , your left temperaly blind as the dims need to warm as it were. dangerousssss
What you need there is called a relay kit..

when you flash your high beams your cutting power to the low beams for a split secound, and is normally enough to causes the bulb to go out. this is just because the gas bulbs need to build up charge before the will stay on. (you may notice your hid light on start up gives a bright flash the dims and slowly comes on full)

the relay kit just allow the balast to to feed striaght from the battery so when you do flash you high beams the cut in power down not effect you low beams as its got direct feed from the battery.

Reaction score
Country
I have seen guys on SXOC do there own home made kit. which looks pretty simple.
You might be able to find them on ebay too.

my hid kit came with one so did not have to worry about it.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Page 2 of this thread covers all the problems you are having. Those HIDs are definitely an aftermarket kit. Its a prime example of why you need to fit an uprated loom and the relay kit mentioned. Your bulb has probably died due to constant re-ignition from flicking from high to low beam. HIDs need to be wired so that they stay on for low AND high beam, so that there is a constant power supply to them (there is a brief interruption when flicking between high and low beams which causes the HIDs to re-ignite), and to ensure the HIDs don't ignite when 'flashing' lights during the day.

DO NOT be tempted in any way to get 10000k bulbs! Don't even go higher than 6000k. The light clarity they give out is WORSE than standard halogens. Anyone who has driven an S15 with halogens will tell you that its a major achievement to have bulbs that are worse! In fact, in the UK 10000k bulbs would get you a producer due to the colour.