What's new

New Clutch Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
I think my clutch is on its way out, not sure how long its got left, but the bite point seems to be slumping.
So what clutch do you guys recommend for fast road use (needs to be suitable for a daily, including town use, nothing too firm)?

I don't want to spend a fortune, and if one you recommend needs anything extra to make it fit/work, please mention!
I was thinking of just getting a genuine nissan replacement, but havent priced that up yet.

Just going to stock up for when it does go ping!

Cheers

Reaction score
Country
Cant seem to find that one anywhere?
However the closes one i can seem to find is the Exedy Hyper Single.. Any experience with that? Says street use, and light clutch.. sounds about right? Also would these require a flywheel too, or would they work with the oem nissan one?

Last edited:

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Hyper single is a nice clutch, might not seem that cheap but it does come with a flywheel etc :)

Gary at AP-Tuning should be able to give you a price :)

Reaction score
Country
my 2cents worth on the hyper single:

No the hyper single will not work with the stock fly, it only comes with its own flywheel, as its smaller in diameter then the stock one.

Some will say its great and others will hate it. Its a great clutch for a weekend / trackday car, if you car is a daily driver and you not chasing 250rwkw + the you probably aren't going to need it unless you skid your car up all the time, and if you have to sit in traffic day in day out then you will get sick of it. I have just put this kit in my car and i like it but its a NOT a daily driver choice. Its also transmits more vibration and i now have two new rattles so sort. The flywheel is about half the weight of a stock DM which is miles better. But its a good example of performance v driveability trade off. You have to make sacrifices for greatness but sometimes you just too old for that crap.

this is more what you are after, only these kits dont come with a light flywheel.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/clutches/auction-499125955.htm

I just took this out of my car, LuK setup. It perfect for fast road use but when i tried to kick the clutch with 9" eagle F1's on the back it didnt want to go into 3rd/4th gear and still turn the tires, so i didnt try it again, and just got the hyper single instead, however with cheaper tires the LuK was happy all day long.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=499102294

Keep in mind how much money you want to spend and what do you REALLY need from your clutch

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Cheers Spoonman and Mattyb,

From the sounds of your description i'm after the HD one, as mine is a real daily drive, and covers a lot of shameful mileage, most of it at economical or town driving, only a minute amount of the time is it actually being driven under boost! :(

Thanks a lot for your help guys!

edit - is the HD one (http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/clutches/auction-499125955.htm) Called something else for the rest of the world? The only sales i can find of this part are from Australia/NZ. Is there a European/Japanese equivalent part name?

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Reaction score
Country
Thanks craig... i'm not a gear/clutch orientated person, and i'm assuming you've still got your 6 speed box.. so assuming this works with the 6 speed? :)
Did you get yours new?

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I wanted the ACT clutch same as Craig but couldn't get it for less than 350, so went with the Exeedy organic clutch from Apex got it for £240. Feels like stock and it has been spot on even though I am pushing 360bhp.

Reaction score
Country
I wanted the ACT clutch same as Craig but couldn't get it for less than 350, so went with the Exeedy organic clutch from Apex got it for £240. Feels like stock and it has been spot on even though I am pushing 360bhp.
Cool cheers, these options seem to be getting cheaper! :)

Sorry i'm a rookie with gearboxes and clutches, but will these S14 clutches work fine with the S15 6speed box?, and is it just the gearbox that needs dropping to get the clutch in? or will the engine have to be removed too?

Reaction score
Country
Its the flywheel which is what needs to be changed for a 5MT to a 6MT, so as long as you have a flywheel suited to the 6MT, then any cover and disk as long as he dowels line up should be fine, which is why craig just put a S14 disk and pressure plate onto his.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Exactly this ^^ :)

The only gearbox specific part is the flywheel and flywheel bolts but if I was you I'd leave them as that's when things get really expensive. The rest of the setup is the same between the 14 and 15.

Reaction score
Country
So realistically all i need is a clutch plate thats for an SR20? I dont need a new flywheel or anything like that? :)

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Yep! Just get an s14 sr20det clutch kit, make sure you get a new release bearing and spigot bearing too. Prob best to contact apex on SXOC as they have a group buy on exedy organic clutches.

Reaction score
Country
Yep! Just get an s14 sr20det clutch kit, make sure you get a new release bearing and spigot bearing too. Prob best to contact apex on SXOC as they have a group buy on exedy organic clutches.
ill pre warn you and give you a tip, the spigot bearing is a mongrel to get out as its in the flywheel, get a old cold chisel about 10mm or so, grind the middle tip out till you have a moon shape or two sharp points, then use one of the points as a cutting wedge and tap the cold chisel in and cut out the old bearing, just dont cut into your flywheel too much, the bearing rip out well before the FW gets marked as the bearing is made of brass, you dont need a genuine nissan bearing for this its just a brass ring. so something like this will do and they cost peanuts
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S14-200SX...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item230f58c601