What's new

Radiator Cowling

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
I broke mine while taking the rad out to replace with an upgraded one and my mechanic says that I should have one on as it helps with the cooling. I never had any problems through the summer with it off and now that its cold the temp stays around the same.

Any thoughts?

Ta, Keith

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
I'm sure it makes a difference otherwise they wouldn't have one on in the first place. I'd say it makes sure the fan sucks air through the rad and not from around it. Not the end of the world, but not perfect.

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
I'm sure it helped with the standard 1cm core rad but I now have a 4cm core. I'm just wondering if it will make any difference as I get a 15 degree difference without the cowling (so thats 65 degree cent post heat exchanger/rad)

Reaction score
Country
You could always replace the viscous fan with apair of electric fans that bolt to the new rad ? This would increase perfromance over the standard fan + cowling.

D

dss15

is it illegal to have no cowling? just a thought and a question in one. I like to give the police nothing to play with when they pull me up.

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
is it illegal to have no cowling? just a thought and a question in one. I like to give the police nothing to play with when they pull me up.
I doubt it, I dont think the rozzers are trained on all cars specs etc otherwise peoples wheels, dump valves, ecus or even if the oil is slightly discoloured your motor will be seized. AFAIK they do the safety stuff and check your rent and insurance if you get pulled. They could probably do you or what they think is a loud exhaust.

I have the standard fan, anyone know where I can get another that allows cut in control?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I've been pulled over a few times now, and not once have to police asked to look under my bonnet. Their main concerns seem to be the tread depth of my tyres!

D

dss15

Ahh I should move countries. here in QLD, aus, they're having a crackdown on 'hoons' and 'hoon cars'. Standard breathalizer guys know how to defect you for random stuff, irritating.

M

Matt_S

Gimme a viscous over an electric any day.

You can still fit the shroud on with a bigger rad too.

And an S14 shroud should fit no probs.