What's new

Removing Diff plate.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys, Going to be removing my rear diff plate to check what 2 way i have.

After i have drained the oil out and removed the rear plate do i need a new gasket,sealant? also where would the diff information be on the diff?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
the diff info/ratio is stamped on the ring gear iirc. the gasket is fibre and can be reused, i personally smeared a little hylomar blue on both sides before refitting and its been a perfect seal since ;)

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
It depends on what info your after! My Nismo diff is from a skyline and it has no written markings on it, and my original ring gear was used! There's not many ways to actually tell what mmake it is. Best way is to take lots of pictures of the diff, at different postions, and then compare them to pictures on the net!

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Oh great lol! well i want to sell my 2 way diff but don't no what make it is :/ just want to know make really.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Well was struggling today, how do you reach the two top bolts? do you have to drop the whole diff out really to remove the plate?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
You mean youre trying to remove it with the diff still on the car? No chance mate... Drop the diff. Just unclip and unplug the sensors and pipes, mark and drop the prop and shafts then unbolt the mounts and it will drop out.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Ah, was told you can remove the plate while still on the car :p haha was thinking it was a bit impossible.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
no idea on the price mate, but in order to remove the backplate on the car you'd have to unbolt the front diff mounts and prop, undo the backplate mounting bolts and pull the diff forward to drop the backplate out... there's enough play on the cv joints to allow that i think but to be honest if it was me i'd just drop the diff otherwise its just hassle and will cause a right mess ;)