What's new

RWYB: Sun 3rd Sept - Santapod, Northants

J

Jono

Just wondered if any of you fancied a light-hearted RWYB at Santapod on Sept 3rd? :)

I'm going with Emma (in our own cars) - thought at least Ming and Dazzo might like to join us! Maybe Nicely could make the trip too?

Post your interest here... :thumbs:

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
i dont think i can make it cuz 1 i might have to work and if i dont work i got to have dina with a frd as its there bday

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
:D

Dont just rev it and dump the clutch, you need to caress it out, with plenty of revs so your turbo is spinning

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
My thoughts.

Theory - you should 'launch' at the beginning of your 'power band' so get your revs to that point and then let go - but you'll probably end up just spinning your tires :)

Things to do

1. lower the rear tire pressure (not too much or you'll bog it) but this will help with wheel spin. In my Z I'd do about 25psi on the rear tires.

2. make sure you do a burn out in the burn out box to warm up your tires

3. depends on your clutch - with my metal 6 puck clutch on my Z I would just take it to 6.5/7k rpm and side step the clutch (RL traction control cheats a bit on that) - if you have a fairly street oriented clutch then probably 5 - 5.5k (more if you like to change clutches frequently) and feather it out.

4. don't have a full tank of petrol :)

5. shift at the top of your power band.. which is probably pretty much redline or just before depending on your state of tune

6. have fun :)

Points 1 and 2 are a must :)

If your shocks are adjustable then soften the front, stiffen the back (and unbolt the front swaybar) :) :) It'll help the car squat better... if you get wheel hop doing this slowly start to reduce the rear shock stiffness...

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I ran 14.2s or something like that. But I think low 13s would be possible.
Got straight from track with like 40psi in tire pressure. No adjustable shocks so rear was way to stiff.

Wheelspin in 1st and 2nd and it was a pretty hot day too. Hit the rev-limiter in second also.
First time a dragged it so with a more experienced driver the time could probobly be much better.

Upped the boost abit and ran a slower time :confused:

Then I threw in the towel. Straight line driving just isn't as fun as track :)

I think you should give it pretty high revs (4000rpm) and then ride the clutch to keep the turbo boosting and not wheelspinning.

But I'm a rookie so don't listen to me :)

J

Jono

Damn - sounds complicated :confused:

What do you mean by like 'teasing or feathering' the clutch out? and keeping the turbo spinning?

Nicely - please don't make comments like that - knowing my luck I WILL kill the clutch :(

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
Jono said:
What do you mean by like 'teasing or feathering' the clutch out? and keeping the turbo spinning?
feathering the clutch.. is not just 'side stepping' it like I would do on mine (especially with slicks) :) :) :)

Feathering the clutch is controlling how much friction control you have between the flywheel and transmission. As you let out the clutch slowly, you feel where the friction control is in the clutch. While your feeling the point of friction, thats feathering.

When you feather it - just let it bite a little at a time and control the amount of power going to the wheels to not break traction :)

OK - not a good description - just let the clutch out slowly :) :) if you do it too quick you could lose traction.. if you do it too slow you'll fry the clutch... but slowly is a better option.. and it just takes a few practice runs :)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
You feather the clutch out each time you take off from a junction :nod: You just need to hold it longer and rev more for a drag start.

J

Jono

Makes sense.

I'm guessing you give your tyres a warm up by just getting it spinning in 1st for a few seconds?

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
Jono said:
Makes sense.

I'm guessing you give your tyres a warm up by just getting it spinning in 1st for a few seconds?
get the tires wet first... and then spinning in 1st is almost impossible to avoid with a little spirited use of the go faster pedal... just get them nice and hot

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
Jono said:
Gotcha!!! :D

Hope I won't hurt her :(
There is very little damage you could do... except:

1. destroy the clutch.. not a problem
2. break the driveshaft - unlikely but possible
3. break the differential - unlikely depending on your mods
4. lose control and crash into the wall :p :p

Just kidding... I used to do a lot of strip racing... it is a lot more fun that people give it credit for :)

J

Jono

Wish I hadn't just put brand new tyres on though :rolleyes:

Ah, I'm sure it will be OK!

Mods are as per my signature - Anyone wanna place bets on my 0-100mph and 1/4m times? :wack:

J

Jono

Final silly question. Someone told me last night that I should do an oil change BEFORE I take it down the strip? Is this true? I thought it would probably be best to do it AFTER I'd been down the strip?

What about brakes too - would it be unwise to change the front pads this soon before Sunday? Or would they have bedded in a bit by then?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Unless you need to i wouldnt change the pads, or the oil for that matter, if the oil has been in for more than 6k then i might think about it, but otherwise it will be fine :nod:

J

Jono

It's certainly been in for 6k yes - and probably a lot more... it was in there when I bought the car in March, so it could be as old as the car for all I know! :eek: