What's new

suspension problem! please help

S

silvialam

dear guys,

im having some problem here with my suspension. OK, here is the scenario... when im going into a corner on an uneven(wavy) road(not pot holes) there is some knocking sound from the driver side suspension. There will not be any sound appear when im driving on the straight road even there is some pot holes or uneven. Im not too sure what had gone wrong, but this only happen recently.

I have let my mechanic to check on it, but he says there is no problem with the bushing and also no suspension oil leakage. all screw is intact and tight

here is my front suspension setup:
Yashio factory coilover + yashio factory pillowball mount
ikeya formula castor rods

Please advise me on this matter....

Reaction score
Left or right hand turn??? or doesnt it matter... also what wheel and tyres do you have? Size offset etc can you describe the knocking noise??? Does it kind of sound rotaional???

S

silvialam

Left or right hand turn??? or doesnt it matter... also what wheel and tyres do you have? Size offset etc can you describe the knocking noise??? Does it kind of sound rotaional???

right hand turn only dude. im using p1 racing.
the knocking noise is like a piece of metal knocks with another metal. i just have this problem 3 days ago, before this was perfect

Reaction score
I know there was a similar problem with the Ksports ones... pablo had them fitted to his first one and had the problem... then on his knew one he doesnt... and they were fitted identically! Have you tried raising the height? Changing the dampening? made sure all the brake lines are fixed securely? all the plastic arche lining is secure? Looked for any extraordinary rubbing marks???

P

pablo

mine knocked only under light throttle and nothing was touching. most likely something worn (prehaps not obvious untill something is removed). noise went when i put the car back to standard. coilovers poss make the noise more apparent.

i got a knocking on the new one for one drive and then i found out it was something in the boot hitting the strut lol.

good luck finding the problem.

p.s i spaced the sound absorber type things (round metal stoppers) on the bottom of my rear coilovers out as the rubbed on my setup

S

S15R

yes check your suspension mount and tight the bolt on the pillowball mount, they do come loose

mine was making knocking noise and tighten the bolt fixed the noise :D

yashio coilovers are noisy :( so as mine JIC lol

i hope this helps

S

silvialam

hmm sure man, will let my mech to check on the suspension mount and also tighten the pillowball mount next week... will update you guys on this...

cant really live with such knocking sound...it is very irritating

S

silvialam

guys,
my suspension problem solved! the knocking sound is from the pillowball mount. as for my rear suspension, the suspension mount is loosen!
im a happy man now :)

oh ya...i was told by my mech that if you are using pillowball mount, soon or later it will produce knocking sound due to the ball bearing of the pillowball wears off, is there any ways to prevent this problem happen?

S

silvialam

dear guys,

my suspension problem happen again :( . the knocking sound is back!!!
i had tighten every single bolt on the suspension and also the pillowball.

well let me tell you the senario again, i was in a big and wide car park area. i turn the steering wheel to right until it max out. then i start to drive round and round and the knocking metal sound is occur.

im not sure is it because of my pillowball spoil or other things....plz advise me on this. its pretty irritating.

by the way im using yashio factory coilovers suspension

Reaction score
i had something similar, i thought it was the pillowball too but in the end i traced it to the hks intercooler piping rubbing on the body. That was my issue anyhow

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I have just (as of yesterday) got a knocking from the rear suspension, no pillow ball mounts at the rear, everything seems to be tight (need to get the wheels off to check propoerly).

Been speaking to a guy at my work who had an issue with his new company car, a knocking from the rear suspension, turned out the be the link from the ARB to the car, you should check this, as will I.

W

WATDA

I have just (as of yesterday) got a knocking from the rear suspension, no pillow ball mounts at the rear, everything seems to be tight (need to get the wheels off to check propoerly).

Been speaking to a guy at my work who had an issue with his new company car, a knocking from the rear suspension, turned out the be the link from the ARB to the car, you should check this, as will I.
Did ya find your knock. Ive got a left rear knock in mine and have coilovers and im pretty sure I read somewhere on this forum about how its a common problem? Its getting on my nerves hearing it aha

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
No, although i have changed my coilovers which seems to have helped, although when manuvering the rear still makes a knocking/cracking noise :confused: Could this be diff knock? Does the stock diff suffer from diff knock?

I noticed after being in Nicely's car, his has the same noise, although less regular than mine.