What's new

The ultimate gearbox thread!

Reaction score
Country
Some of you probably new this already but im posting up to add info for this thread.

Our gearboxes are not 5speeds with a extra gear on the end.......... Not made by Nissan, ever noticed a symbol on them Aisin on the side.. Made by Aisin-Toyota our gearboxes are model AZ6.

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
Goid info dude, but how are our gearboxes the same as above if we are six speed and they are five speed, or are they six speed too.

Reaction score
Country
Redline Light Weight Shock Proof aka Smurf Blood this is what it looks like on the inside, proof that it sticks to all surfaces incredibly well

Last edited:

Cess

Staff member
Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
Sorry for asking such a stupid question, but when you say the same as, what is the same?

Is the S2000 casing, internals etc etc all the same, bar the ratios?

Reaction score
Country
the bell housing will vary due to mating up to different engines, but where they bolt up to the center casing will be the same and the ratios will be ratios chosen by nissan or honda or mazda, the splines on the output shafts will be specified by these companies as well to suit their respective drive shafts, but you will be able to put gears from a mazda box into your S15 and it will fit up fine, just the ratio will be different, syncros, bearings, selector fork, spring & ball bearings will be all the same.

to suit say a Rx7 gearbox to a SR, you would just get a adaption made for the bell housing taking into account shaft length so it sits either into the S15 flywheel or the crank as on S14/S13, and if the output shaft has different splines a Rx7 driveshaft front section, fitted to the SR front section and you will have the same gearbox, if you buy a gearbox from a MX5 for $400 and a S15 spec r cost $2000, $1000 in custom work and a replacement box just cost you $1400 instead of $2000, then blow the crap out of the box get another one from a MX5 and the custom work is already done.

subzero

Reaction score
any one have a few pics down into the gearbox shifter, thinking of removing my short shifter as its not right and have a std shifter there but not sure do i have all the parts to do it right .

K

kingtal0n

Hello. I was reading about the c-clip failure as that seems to be the greatest worry for daily driver low-power S15 6-speed setup. Has anybody made it to 200,000km or 150,000km with an all stock setup? I read that somebody had theirs fail around 76,000km!!

Reaction score
Country
It really depends on how you drive the car, sometimes it's easier to blame it on the box than admitting they have a problem

Me and couple of mates are clocking 150,000km on ours with stock box just so you know, im running slightly upboost on stock turbo and another mate has GT2871

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
Im on 130000 km dona about 5 drift days with 360 ish bhp clutch kicks 4 gear the lot. And mines ok.

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
Plus im not a great drifter either. I guess a professional drifter would probably break it.

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
I actually think that grip would break the box quicker than drifting.

The pros have there cars set up with so much grip. Mine is set up to be quite slippy. So i don't have to carry huge speed to drift

S

Snowdude_r

hey guys sorry for abit of a thread hijack, im currently in the process of putting a S15 motor and gearbox into an S13 and was reading up on the S15 circlip issues, was thinking of pulling the box apart while its out and welding the circlip in place as lots of threads have suggested this helps extend the life of them.

Just wondering if anyone on here has done this themselves and can advise on how hard a job it is to do or is it something that is normally left to a gearbox reconditioner shop.

The cars going to be track only used for a combination of drift and grip events and im usually fairly mechanically sympathetic to my cars and just starting out with a heavy duty organic clutch and only running about 200rwkw. Im expecting to have the gearbox let go at some stage in the future but if welding the circlip is not too hard and expensive a job it could be worth doing

K

kingtal0n

hey guys sorry for abit of a thread hijack, im currently in the process of putting a S15 motor and gearbox into an S13 and was reading up on the S15 circlip issues, was thinking of pulling the box apart while its out and welding the circlip in place as lots of threads have suggested this helps extend the life of them.

Just wondering if anyone on here has done this themselves and can advise on how hard a job it is to do or is it something that is normally left to a gearbox reconditioner shop.

The cars going to be track only used for a combination of drift and grip events and im usually fairly mechanically sympathetic to my cars and just starting out with a heavy duty organic clutch and only running about 200rwkw. Im expecting to have the gearbox let go at some stage in the future but if welding the circlip is not too hard and expensive a job it could be worth doing
I've done a bit of research on this subject and it seems that welding is not a viable option. I am sure somebody has tried; however, the properties of metals and the heat involved with welding anything inside a transmission makes for an uncertain outcome regardless of how well it is done.

Reaction score
Country
Hello. I was reading about the c-clip failure as that seems to be the greatest worry for daily driver low-power S15 6-speed setup. Has anybody made it to 200,000km or 150,000km with an all stock setup? I read that somebody had theirs fail around 76,000km!!

I have done ~195,000kms on my stock 6 speed gearbox. Had 190 rwkw for about 150,000kms of that. About to upgrade turbo and other bit to hit ~280rwkw on e85 fuel.... also trying to decide what to do gearbox wise. I'm thinking about sending my gearsets over to these guys for strengthening and for their 'custom' circlip mod.

http://neatgearboxes.wordpress.com/2014/04/16/nissan-silvia-s15-6-speed-gearbox-circlip-mod/