What's new

VVT Rattle or a bottom end rattle,Worried

Curryzz

Reaction score
VVT Rattle or a bottom end rattle,Worried (PIC ON PAGE 3)

Hi guys,
I have a rattle which has got worse, i think its vvt but i have had another chap say it sounds a bit bottom end,ish, i dont think it is, how can i work out what it actually is?It doesnt tap when its cold but as it warms up sometimes i can here a tapping, but once i lean on the throttle it goes, iv always had the vvt rattle but not sure if thats what this is?:(

Iv heard a bad vvt rattle will rattle all the time?Not sure, Just want to make sure its not bottom end

Paul

Last edited:
Reaction score
The vvt won't rattle if the engine is under load. If it goes away when you put the car into gear and pull off, it's your vvt.

Curryzz

Reaction score
The vvt won't rattle if the engine is under load. If it goes away when you put the car into gear and pull off, it's your vvt.
It's goes away but I can sometimes here it in first when I'm going along, also surly I'd here the bottom end when it's cold wouldn't i? It's fine when it's cold

Paul

G

GUEST_JDM

wouldn't be your bottom end man, your car would shake its face off. vct would be my guess and some chain noise which you tend to get when your vct gear starts dying. also could be a lifter issue had an oil change latley?

Reaction score
The vvt doesn't fully operate until the car is past about 10mph in 1st gear, so that's probably why you can hear it.

Curryzz

Reaction score
Hmm, well it sounds like its coming from the top end, it doesnt shake at all the car runs perfectly just taps between 2-3k, it not a knock its more of a tap? I have changed the oil twice in 6 months, its always had good oil in it, It evan taps in 6th gear sat on the motorway but as soon as i lean on the throttle is goes, also its not as bad when its cold, any brain waves?

Paul

wouldn't be your bottom end man, your car would shake its face off. vct would be my guess and some chain noise which you tend to get when your vct gear starts dying. also could be a lifter issue had an oil change latley?

sx-si

Reaction score
theres a possiablility of a few things
is it quiet till about 3k revs then gets louder
its possiablly that the chain tencioner is flapping (nothing uncommon)
also maybe just dodgy tappets
most likely its just a fubar vvt/vtc (does it only normally make the noise if you let the car idle up to temp?)

adam l if the vvt dies compleatly it will ratlle its tits off all the time , even when driving

Reaction score
I know what a naffed vvt does, I've had two go on my S14a, and i've replaced them twice. Both of them were as bad as you could get but they never rattled under load.

It'd be easier for Curryzz if it was the vvt as it's a measly 45 minutes work.

Just as a note, if you've got vvt rattles under load, your solenoid is shot too.

Last edited:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i thought vvt doesnt just go altogether at once, i thought it starts to rattle on startup, then on idle before doing it all the time.....i was also under the impression when you load the engine up it quietens down?

Reaction score
It get progressivley worse, it won't just suddenly start rattling. It's a spring loaded device that is operated by oil pressure

sx-si

Reaction score
I know what a naffed vvt does, I've had two go on my S14a, and i've replaced them twice. Both of them were as bad as you could get but they never rattled under load.

It'd be easier for Curryzz if it was the vvt as it's a measly 45 minutes work.

Just as a note, if you've got vvt rattles under load, your solenoid is shot too.
you just contradict yourself there dude :)
not having a pop but ive had one go before and seen a bout 7-8 that have devoped it over the past 5 years

Reaction score
I'm just saying the two that I had fail weren't audible under load, although they rattled extremely badly on idle, over run and slow gear changes. If I unplugged the solenoid the noise was constant.

If you hear the noise, it's fairly easy to diagnose.

Curryzz

Reaction score
Ok guys, good stuff, well I really want it to just be vvt obviously,I am guna pop up to jez@Horsham Developments tomorrow and get him to check it out, he's the best man for it isn't he?

sx-si

Reaction score
where abouts in hants are you dude as i might be able to pop over and have a listen
if it is big eng bearings i wouldnt advise driving it

Curryzz

Reaction score
Just took the S15 for a drive and it doesn't tap at all under 2k, I also pulled the handbrake up in second so it created alot of load on the engine and it didn't tap, strange, it defiantly sounds top end taping, if the bottom end was gone would it make any tapping top end at all?

sx-si

Reaction score
could you take a video (with sound) of it
its starting to sound like big end bearings but if you say its from the top it might be somthing else

ill try and make time to pop over this weekend curryzz

Curryzz

Reaction score
Cheers si I'm actually taking the car to jez at horshem developments tomoz so I may be ok, see what he says, I thought bottom end would be a knock too

could you take a video (with sound) of it
its starting to sound like big end bearings but if you say its from the top it might be somthing else

ill try and make time to pop over this weekend curryzz