What's new

VVT Rattle or a bottom end rattle,Worried

Curryzz

Reaction score
Just been down the garage to view my engine now its stripped, here is a quick pic to show what we found....

Curryzz

Reaction score
Nah unfortunatly it damaged my crank to, so iv got a second hand undamaged one we are using but im having it polished first before it goes in,also because its so buggered we are going to have to clean the oil pump out and loads of other parts because all the metal bits have got around the engine,bit **** really,when it goes back together iv gone for some stonger race bearings that wont fall apart, think they called ACL race bearings. I dont have much luck with sr20 motors,second one iv had problems with, i thought they were sposed to be clever engines, and strong lol, more like dumb and week hahah iv got a sore point with it at the mo haha

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
What would cause that though? Oil starvation?

Curryzz

Reaction score
There wasn't any cause as such, think iv just been unlucky unless it's related to the misfire iv had from the ecu, definatly had anough oil, I checked it every time I used it, I'm really quite obsessed with my car so it's definatly been looked after,there was an sr20 from a s14 done the same thing a week before mine, bit higher milage tho, and also another one had blown a hole in the side of the engine cause the bottom end went. Scary stuff

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
that must have been oil starvation surely? that shell is absolutely mullered and if plenty of oil is fed into that bearing then that shouldnt happen should it?

Curryzz

Reaction score
I'm not expert so it could have been, yes it's absolutely buggered,he said when it goes back together he has to use a gauge to make sure it gets the correct amount of oil through to the bearings on the rebuilt, apparently you put wax on the bearing then tighten it and it shows the cap left which the oil feeds through, he said the engine had a tiny spot of mental under the bareing which could have created a hot spot and a problem, the only way that could have got there would be from a previous rebuilt or when it was build orginaly.

I could be talking rubbish but that's what iv been told:(

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Well whatever happened, at least you noticed it before it destroyed anything else.

Curryzz

Reaction score
Yep, all be good once she's back, hopefully I have a long stretch of it not playing me up anymore :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
the only way to properly clean the spray bars is to remove them, soak them in solvent and run a high pressure airline through them. even then i've heard people couldn't get them 100% so bought a new set from nissan for about 80 quid the pair, same part as s14a iirc. if you remove them (which is only a couple of bolts inside the cam cover) and are happy they are clean after, you just need four copper washers to refit them ;).