What's new

wonder how well this would work...

Reaction score

Kinda cool for the people that really don't wanna change their engine bay about too much!

i know someone on here just the other day said they'd shifted them rad' back 20mm to do this sorta fitment.

What i wonder though, is how well it'd compare to the likes of a full FMIC. Surely alot of the core is blocked off by the front slam pannel. So inturn not be quite so effective?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Having read a few things about this type of Intercooler fitment on SXOC, it seems to be more effective for the Rad, as instead of the air being reduced to the rad by the FMIC (space in between) with them joint together the air flows through both parts with ease.

It was a while ago i read up on it, so that may not be exactly the findings, but it certainly a tidy option i think. although wouldnt look as good as a snarling FMIC sticking out :D

Reaction score
yea, the FMIC apperance looks awesome!

Another plus factor, is that it dramaitcally shortens the cooler pipes, so apparently reduces lag!

Reaction score
Country
There was a debate on this setup awhile back in ns.com

I remember they were saying the design of the end tanks for these kind of intercooler may not work due to hot air rises and how all intercoolers goes in at the bottom and this one goes in at the top, i'm not too sure how to explain it though

Another issue is the heatsoak. Because of the radiator and intercooler been so close, there's heat trapped between them but it's only a stationary problem.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The most efficient FMIC throughput is diagonally opposing, e.g. in at the bottom, out diagonally opposite on the top.

S

silviac

If this setup is mounted then the cooler will be safe from frontal impact since it will be behind the chassis. Unless the accident is fatal, it will save some bux :)
I wanted to have this setup but still need more research on this. eg. not sure how the black material insulates heat between rad and cooler.

this will have few adv. eg. short pipe and kinda accident safe but not wallet safe!!

T

tass15

if someone can show tell me how to get some pictures up, i'll take a few of my setup, used all stock bits, just had to make up a custom top rad hose out os stainless, doesnt heat soak or overheat, n the possum that recked my front bar never touched it lol.

T

tass15

i got the photos at -
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/tass15/
the reason i did it the way i did was the fact that i didnt want the air con condensor in front of the cooler, sort of pointless on a hot day otherwise, as condensor can produce up to 25 deg C when the aircon is working. dont bag out the alloy piping n silicone either, i have a stainless lobsterback pipework with AFM on cold pipe that i'm making atm, just need to get my TIG welder dammit.
If you got any qn's just fire em off, or email/pm me