What's new

Another JDM Spec R build up

Reaction score
Moroso sump extension and GFB Respons direct replacement bov arrived yesterday. Both products look great, i got them through rocket industries australia to try and keep some money in the country, good prices and fast shipping also.

I decided on the moroso sump over the tomei one because it is larger in both capacity and importantly trap door size. If you look at a tomie one the doors are about half the size. I also thought the moroso one is overall better built in terms of thickness of material and weld sizes and to top it off is priced better most likely because of the exchange rate with the us where its made. As far as i know moroso has been a big brand with the v8 scence for years. Enough chat heres a few pics, tomie ras thrown in for good measure ;)

Reaction score
Country
Indeed the traps are a little bit bigger, but I wouldn't go saying the build quality of it is better... My friend has a moroso oil pan for his LS1 and the quality is good yes, but nothing compares to Japanese build quality ;)

Whats the main purpose your car will be used for? I'd be very careful and if I was you, I'd be looking for a bash plate... These sit lower then the sway bar

Reaction score
Look most of the time i agree the jap stuff is great and very well made, ive bought tens and tens of thousands of dollars of it over the years and ill continue to buy more for sure. Im getting old enough and wise enough to know when a product from another country is better however small that amount is. Illl still go for what i believe is the better product even if it means missing out on some more jdm cred.

Im sure the tomie is a great sump and if i hadnt seen the moroso one i would have bought it for sure. But when i look at the "japanese build quality" i see thin metal and small diameter welds neither of which look as strong as the moroso item. Then you have the most important part the trap doors, looking at pics id say the tomei ones are closer to half the size of the ones in the moroso sump!

Cheers for the heads up on the bash plate, im hoping these moroso/tomei items dont sit too much lower because they retain the stock oil pump pick up lenght and most of the capacity increase is horizontal rather than vertical. Time will tell i will be fitting all these parts up in october. Do you have a bash plate lined up for yours yld?

I ordered a z32 afm last night from just jap, just need to get a oil catch can now :) ill link up the one i have in mind later, smoko is over! :)

Reaction score
Oh and purpose for the car is street, mountain driving and eventually some time attack days at qr and lakeside. I need to finish my track r32 before i worry about running the s15 against the clock ;)

Reaction score
What do you guys think of those catch cans, the design of the baffle inside is different. I think it should work well, although im still undecided if i really need it.

This weeks delivery arrived just in time to stop me twitching :)

Reaction score
Bought these R33 gtr front brembos last night. Should be here next week, havent decided what colour ill get my mate to paint them yet, probably the gold color they are on the R34.

As far as i know they are a bolt on just got to head down to the trusty bolt shop for the correct bolts. The R33 bolts are too long from what ive read. My braided lines should fit, will be keeping rears standard for now so no master cylinder changes should be neeeded.

I may go down the route of r33 gtst rear calipers and master cylinder change to suit the twin piston rears. I do not want to change to a drum handbrake on the rear. I have that setup on the 32 and its ok but not great. Not that it really matters i only use the handbrake to park :)

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i picked them up on sau.com for 800 with ferrodo ds2500 pads. Fair few sets going there lately.

Gold, black or silver im thinking of painting them. One day i like the idea or stealth looks and the next i like bling ie gold.
Same deal with whatever rotors i end up using. Hell im still thinking of selling the canon exhaust system i have and going a ces system like ryd11r :)

Reaction score
S15 hits the dyno on friday to get some baseline figures before i start the modding. R32 has alot of rust and corrosion in the fuel tank. The two bosh fuel pumps are dead, looking into a 20-30L fuel cell for it. Hasnt been driven for nearly two years, just a heads up for anyone with a car sitting for long periods.

Reaction score
S15 just made 135.3kw @ 6162 rpm, torque was 232.2 nm at 4465. This was on a dynapack hub dyno, now i have a baseline i can start the modding :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Being a JDM, 135kw at the wheels is ok. Mine being an ADM was 115rwkw when stock.

Reaction score
Yeah thanks, its about what i was expecting. Just ran it for interest sake, got 3 graphs, one showing power vs revs, torque vs revs and a look at what the boost and afrs are doing. I should get around to posting them up but i havent used a scanner for about 12-13 years :)

Reaction score
Been busy over the last week, started by pulling the turbo and manifold off to replace the blown exhuast manifold to turbo gasket. While i was there i did the multilayer metal gasket that goes from the head to exhaust manifold.

After this i fitted the C.E.S dump/front pipe which i wrapped in the thermotec cool it heat wrap. The wrap made some of the turbo exhaust housing bolts a bit but i chipped away untill it was done.

After that was the catco high flow cat and kakimoto regu06&R stainless catback. This systwm ia producing just the amount of noise i was after. Almost stock at idle and not a bad note when giving it a bit :)