Close Ratio Gearbox

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ok folks :)

I'm just purely asking this question out of interest as I know the prices will make most people feel queezy but in the long distant future, when I'm trying to get my Silvia more and more hardcore in terms of acceleration and response (not big power), is summat like a gearbox with OS Giken close ratio gears built into it an upgrade worth serious consideration?

There's no way I can afford nor risk damaging a full on OS Giken 88 sequential dogbox which seems to retail at a whopping £9k - £10k :eek: plus driving it seems ridiculous on the road etc but I was thinking whether the close ratio gears option will make the car much more fun to drive... and improve performance?

*Please don't make daft replies... this is a serious question and hopefully, someone with experience in driving a car with aftermarket close ratio gears can comment/advise :thumbs:

Cheers,

J

Reaction score
Country
You really dont need such a close ratio box on the S15 imo, theres enough gear changes as there is as a tuned S15 rips through the rev range very quickly. Also remember that closer gears makes it far tricker when driving on track as you really do have much more work to do (especially when braking). Increasing the torque negates the need for such close ratio's.

Id suggest a S14 5 speed with a OS gearset to replace 2nd, 3rd & 4th.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
if you get closer ratio's on the s15 you'll be like my friend with a rally car - he needs to row all gears to to get to the suburban street speed limit (60km/h) ROFL

the s15 6speed is an awesome box with sweet and close ratio's as is, i say leave it the way it is :) you can already spin up 1 2 and 3 with the "standard" bolt on power mods so any lower gearing or closer spacing and its spin 4 and 5 too, making you slowest of all :|

anyways, if you're still keen to get even shorter gears then get a shorter final drive (numerically bigger), you got heaps to choose from like 3.9 4.1 4.3 4.6... 4.9 = 6th gear wheelspin? lol

anyways lets leave the discussions in the one thread over there...
http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?t=5156