What's new

Craig's S15

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
That's what I was thinking do mainly black with high lights of a bright colour to break it up,all my arms are blue so Was gonna do the arbs and cross braces to match and get blue exhuast hangers and poly bushes think it would look nice, lime green or orange will both look sweet on a white car,there was a white 15 in a mag not long ago with orange highlights ie wheels and) engine painted orange looked awesome!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I was sayin to someone the other day if I had money I would buy a warehouse chuck 4 or 5 ramps in it and rent the ramps to people be a great idea
I'm sure there are a few places like that around. I think you get tool hire thrown in too but from what I remember it isn't cheap.

I plan on doing most of it all black tbh dude silver and grey will look a bit weird but what i had in mind was everything black and either powered coat all the arms green or keep them driftworks orange :)
I'm defiantly going to do the diff cover a chrome/silver colour as it's this colour now and looks awesome against the black I think. I'll probably end up recoating the whitelines too but not sure yet. I get powdercoating done dirt cheap but it's a shame to strip brand new ARB's

That's what I was thinking do mainly black with high lights of a bright colour to break it up,all my arms are blue so Was gonna do the arbs and cross braces to match and get blue exhuast hangers and poly bushes think it would look nice
Yeah, thats cool too. I remember seeing someone had a DW orange subframe with all the arms and it did look really nice but it's not the style I'm going for :) I've been thinking about it a bit tonight and hame made my mind up now. You'll have to wait and see what it is! :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
agreed, looking forward to seeing it all :) its wierd, but it took me ages to decide lol

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
It takes a lot of thought because its one of those things you only want to do once so you have to get it right first time!both your cars are mint anyways so think it would be very hard to mess them up lol

Reaction score
Country
Looking good mate, cant wait to see the difference. Might nick a few bits of the car while its up the motor club, hope you dont mind :wack: Should have my membership sorted next week. So you might see me up there over christmas :thumbs:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'll have to reconnect my alarm/battery then you pikey!! :p

I've totally stripped the subframe today so everything is apart now awaiting powdercoating and plating. I'll probably drop the bulk of the parts down tomorrow as certain parts will need a good acid dip to remove the old underseal. My DW camber arms are looking a bit tired too so I'll either be renewing these or buying new rosejoints for them. I haven't got any pics today but theres not a lot to show, just lots of parts!

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Went to take the tank out today but stupidly left the key at home so I couldnt do the electrical connections and fuel lines. So instead I just took the 3 exhaust heat shields off instead so they can be re-plated. May go back tomorrow if I get chance to remove the tank. Is it just the 2 clamps underneath that hold it on? Not sure what I'm going to do with the 30L of fuel that's in it!? :rolleyes:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
there are 2 17mm bolts that hold the top of the straps on mate, they have some sort of threadlock on them so are a pain to undo. as these undo the straps slacken, then make sure the tank is propped up/supported and you can pull the pins. provided the filler, fuel lines and breather are disconnected then it can be dropped :)

pm'ing you the other info in a bit ;)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I removed the tank now and given the whole area a degrease. Going back tomorrow with the wire brush to remve a couple of rust blobs that I found, which will be followed up by some zinc primer and this..

I've been doing as much as I can but theres only so much I can do because the powder coaters and platers have closed until new year now, which is a bit of a pain. Hope to get pretty much all of it done incl handbrake/big rear brake conversion within the next 2 weeks. The only think that might stop me is the fact that the bushes haven't arrived from America yet :wack:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
wish i had a comressor.....doing it with cans gets a bit annoying at times and works out more expensive. keep up the good work mate :) look forward to seeing the progress

Reaction score
I sell that at work the 3m 8861, its id say the best schutz on the market, doesnt seem to crack, holds weathering well and is the 'right' shade of black lol.

You can get this in aerosol form aswell dean!

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, I'd had the 3M recommended to me by a few people so thought I'd give it a go :)

I went to apply it today but ended up spending more time working on other peoples cars, so only had chance to degrease the underside again! TBH, once it is all prepped and masked, undersealing will probably only take 10-15 mins. Most of the time has to be spent on the prep, as always.

Liam - the RR/dyno was at Weston Performance. Theres more info in this post

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Here are some photos of the underside that I took today after cleaning it up a bit. You can see how well the underseal has protected the underside from the elements. If your S15 is not undersealed and you use it every day then get it done ASAP, preferably on import like mine was.

Reaction score
Country
Underneath isn't bad at all!

Wire brushes and drill attachments will clean it up nice along with the Deox gel if needed!

Quick question - Are you checking torque measurements before you remove everything so you can torque it all back up to the required tolerance when it goes back together?

I haven't got a torque wrench you see and was just planning on removing things and then putting them back on tight but it occurred to me that things like prop bolts, and sub frame bolts may well need to be torqued up... More money too spend! :down:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
In the end there was only 3 patches I had to grind back, 2 of which were where the fuel tank rubbed. Theres no proper way of checking the torque before removing the bolts. I might get the torque wrench out on a few of the bigger ones but most will be done by feel - which may sound bad but it isn't :)

I've been a busy bee today. Firstly went to Apex's office to pick up an alignment kit, then came back and took a load of parts to the powder coaters, metal platers and metal polishers - (stealing Dean's idea for the diff cover)! Theres nothing much to see at the moment until I pick it all up on Friday morning but I did manage to underseal it the other night. Time to go and package some cooling panels now! :wack:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Time for the next update. I collected all of the parts today that were being powder coated and plated. The guy who's polishing my diff cover is a massive knob and wasn't there so I couldn't get the diff cover back, which means I can't fit my diff until I get it back :(

I bought a set of Apex/Hardrace adjustable bushed control arms this week too. I didn't like the colour of them at all so decided to do something about it. Powder coating wasn't an option as the heat would kill the rubber bushes, so I took them to LittleKnocks yesterday and Martin very kindly stayed 3 hours after work and painted them for me, so they are now a nice shade of WV2 - Nissan Sparkling Silver - aka Pewter :D

The subframe, lower arms, fuel tank straps, and subframe mount plates are black. The Whiteline ARB's and the strengthning bar that goes between the 2 rear subframe mounts are a metallic graphite grey to break up the black and blend the body coloured adjustable arms. All rear bushes will be Energy Suspension polybushes in black, which are supposedly inpregnated with graphite for self lubrication. Hub carriers and hubs have been re-plated, as have the exhaust system heat shields. It may sound daft but a lot of thought has gone into the colour scheme underneath!

Tonight has been spent inserting the Energy bushes into the hub carriers and lower arms. They were a bit of a faff to fit as they are 1-peice bushes but it was worth it as they fit like a glove :)