What's new

Craig's S15

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
craig - that sounds really good for the plating - could you post up some pics when you get the bits back? my nearest plater is a fair way away and if its local to you i wondered if you wouldnt mind me sending you some stuff? (as i know your a nice bloke and all that ;) - shameless of me i know lol)

did you have to strip all the bolts before taking them to him or did he dip them for you prior to plating?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The place I have found is in the middle of Birmingham, so about 20 miles from me but I go past that way when I go to and from work each week. I don't know if I needed to strip them so will ask when I pick them up. It's really easy stripping them anyway, just make the Deox-C soltution up and leave them in it overnight. Wire brush and dry in the morning and they are done :)

I'm picking the bits up on Friday so will post some pics. They asked if I wanted a silver or yellow finish so I asked for the yelllow one as it gives better corrosion resistance :)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
can you let me know mate - as it happens i went back into the place i got those nuts from today and he has a guy that collects them and drops them back once a week - i might even try that mate but at least i know you're on to a winner :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Dean - if all 48 parts come back then I'll be happy! Will update with pics as soon as I have them.

Emagdnim - Thanks mate :)

Here's a pic of most of the handbrake parts after I had stripped them in Deox-C (15:1 solution)..

And some of the stuff I'll be using over the next few weeks. I've also bought some 3M underseal too and a spray gun to apply it with, so once the suspension is all removed from the arches, I'll give them a good coat along with any other areas that would benefit from it.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I picked the Z32 handbrake parts up from the platers today. Here's a before and after picture to show the difference. I'm really happy with the results, better than I ever expected and all for £10.00. And they didnt loose anything at all!!

BEFORE

AFTER

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
They sure did. I stripped the parts before I took them to make it easier and hopefully better results.

The owner of the plating company was showing me around too and explaining the process. I mentioned that I thought about buying a kit to avoid lost parts and he basically said they often get people in after attemping to DIY it! The process they've adapted means it's almost impossible to loose any parts too.

Top guys, massively recommended :)

http://www.minibatchplating.co.uk

Jay

Reaction score
top notch attention to detail craig. im envious of the cleanliness of your whole car. just wish mine was as clean!

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
everything looks great craig :D what about the 'de-brittling' side of things, do they treat the bolts etc after wards or is it not really worth worrying about?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It's certainly not worth worrying about with these parts. I don't fully understand why they give their units in MPa either. Surely a shear force should be measured in kg. I'll ask next time I go there as I want to know now. He did say the parts had been dried in a special drier he had, but I don't think that was de-embrittlement.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Haha, we'll see! Just itching to get going on it now. I took it to the garage where I'll be doing the work yesterday. Was a nice drive but was the first time I had used it in a month due to the crap weather.

I'm heading over to the Driftworks shop tomorrow to pick up my new HSD coilovers and will then proceed to remove the subframe from the car, so expect some pics in the evening. :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I made a good start on removing the subframe today. The first job of course is to get it nice and high in the air. I'm doing all of the work on the deck as I think the majority of it will be easier this way due to the weight of certain components.

I decided to copy Deans idea and make wooden supports for the axle stands so they can be placed under the sills without damaging them. I supported the front from where the wishbone mounts to the front subframe. I'm dead paranoid about it falling so I've also left a jack under the front subframe and the diff at the rear for now. This should give me ample room to work under the car too.

Once it was all raised up I began to remove everything attached to the subframe and undo the hub nuts. Everything is now disconected incl. exhaust, brake lines, handbrake cable, brake callipers, diff sensor cable and prop shaft (fully removed). So tomorrow I just need to remove the rest of the handbrake cables from the subframe and she should be ready to drop! And, I only smashed my finger with the hammer once! :wack:

After having a good look underneath I was really pleased at how little corrosion there actually is. The car was treated when it was imported into the UK. This underseal doesn't look amazing, but it certainly has done it's job well. I'll be removing some of it and giving it a fresh coat along with the chassis box sections. too Not that it needs it because it won't be seeing crap weather after all of this time/effort. :p

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
looking good mate, lots of workspace you have there - lucky sod lol. the wooden blocks wasn't my idea mate, i copied it from petrol on sxoc :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, theres plenty of room there. You may have also noticed the massive infa red heaters!! Haha! ;) :p

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
Yeah, theres plenty of room there. You may have also noticed the massive infa red heaters!! Haha! ;) :p
bastard...........hahahaha it's the best and worst time of the year to be doing this without heat lol