meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Fitting a Cusco rear strut brace to a Nissna SIlvia (200SX) S15

This is a guide on fitting this,

Into one of these.

WARNING: MAKE SURE YOUR CAR IS ON A LEVEL SURFACE AND YOU TAKE ALL THE APPROPRIATE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS. S15OC OR MYSELF WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOU OR YOUR CAR WHILE USING OR FOLLOWING THIS FITTING GUIDE.

1) Fold down the rear seat.

2) Remove the Child seat restraint hook (marked with a red circle. It's 12mm bolt if you have one). To remove parcel shelf, firstly remove your 3rd brake light. Press on the sides of the brake light and lift up at the front. Then slide the light towards the front of the car. Disconnect any wiring. Then to remove the parcel shelf itself, slowly apply upward pressure on the parcel shelf. There are 5 clips that hold the parcel shelf on. It should pop off quite easily.

3) This will expose the top of the rear struts. Remove the 2 x 12mm nuts (marked with read circles) and the black reinforcing ring.

4) Remove the rubber trim and fold back the cardboard backed carpet. This may require a little effort to get the carpet to sit right. This will expose a hold in the forward part of the recess where the top of the strut bolts to.

5) Fit the bracket to the top of the strut. This may take a little work as you have to make both brackets fit through the small hole in the strut recess and get the bracket to fit on top of the strut threads.

Last edited:

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Cont.....

6) Don?t tighten anything yet. If you do so, you may find it difficult to fit the cross bar. Fit the other bracket to the other side of the car. The proceedure is the same as the side you just did. Once this is done, fit the cross bar and then you can tighten everything up. (all nuts are 12mm and the nut and bolt for the cross bar are 14mm) Adjust the carpet that you moved out of the way if desired and put all the trim back together.

There you have it. You now have a nice shiny rear strut brace :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Excellent write up and pictures:thumbs:has inspired me to do it to mine. Did you notice much of a difference once it was fitted:)

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
There is a bit of difference. The rear definately feels more rigid. Too bad about the rest of the suspension. I should have done coilovers first, but this was just one of those opportunities that was too good to miss.

F

Fro-Daddy

Got these puppies in the post the other day, just wondering whether my tein rear strut brace is an over or an under? Kinda looks like it could be which ever I want :p

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Correct. That is an overshelf bar. The only undershelf bar I have seen is the Cusco one. Unsure if Tein do one, but I doubt it. Hence why I bought the one I did.
If you want one like mine, talk to kimi on here. She works for Co-ord sport which is where I got mine (shameless plug). Warning tho, shipping is very expensive.

Reaction score
Country
Digging up abit of an ancient thread but do are the ultra racing braces on ebay under the parcel shelf braces?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
The only under brace I have ever seen is the Cusco.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@ant_6rr
Pictures seem to have expired/disappeared from this write-up :(

Just an FYI, as I know it's an old thread but I'd imagine quite a lot of people will search for a guide on this.

EDIT: I was viewing on the website from my phone, the desktop version seems to load all the images fine.

Last edited: